OCZ Vertex 2 60GB vs Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB

su100

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hey folks,
I am decidin between OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (SATA II) and Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB (SATA III).

Mobo supports SATA III, OS Windows 7.

The question is if should I rather take the

1: C300 coz of the SATA III support,

or rather go for

2: 50k IOPS random and 275MB/s sequential write.

Any advise is appreciated :)

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
if you were intending to upgrade anytime soon, I'd take the sata3 drive, although the 64 gigs have terrible write speeds.

Otherwise I'd take the Sandforce controlled drive every time regardless of the inflated "best case scenario" specs. Ultra low latency and the ability to compress data and therefore speed up is golden for an OS volume.

su100

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation. I forgot to mention I got another HDD for data, so I am going to use the SSD for system only (Windows 7 + applications). Therefore I dont need much of extra gigs.

The thing is whether

sacrifice the write speed of C300 and enjoy the benefit of SATA3,

or

sacrifice the SATA3 and take Vertex2.

What helps more the speed of the system?
Rather having sata3 with low write speed (C300), or to have sata2 with 275MB/s (Vertex2)?

su100

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Groberts101,
thats exactly my intention, to use the ssd for OS (win7) and programs to be installed.

This a new build pc, so I am selecting components. I am clear with all other components besides the ssd.

Would I make use of the sata3? Would it be a noticeable difference comparing to sata2?

What would be slow if I take the slow write speed C300?

Thank you guys for helping me on this matter.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
OK. here's my take on the matter. Will be kind of wishy-washy but is the best way I can speak honestly without being too much of an OCZ fanboy.

Depending on the hardware being used and the intended usage you would need to consider strengths and weaknesses here. It should be noted that I've owned and tested all but the Marvell controlled SSD mentioned above and prefer Sandforce controlled drives over all others so far. Also should be noted that my friends and fellow beta-testers who own Crucial drives have all said they prefer the Sandforce controlled drives over all others as well so I'm in no big hurry to run out and buy one to test. Of all the 6G drives out lately I've only tested the Vertex 3 so far.

First off is the usage scenario. If you intend to actually write to your drive and aren't one of those lifespan nuts(after all these drives will be small, slow and obsolete by the time lifespan comes into the picture anyways) then I would take the Sandforce drive everytime. Write speeds are decent enough with incompressible data(pics,vids,music) and then speed up considerably when the data is more easily compressed(such as a typical OS volume would see). Kind of like a Turbo mode of sorts for the Sandforce whereas the others are WYSIWYG, regardless of the data types.

On the other side of the coin Crucial uses superior nand and has faster reads(even on sata2) and would cater to those that often just install necessary apps and games with most writes being done to an HDD from that point onwards. Lifespan nuts would fit this catagory as well since they damned near get a hernia with all the contorting that they do to avoid writing to their drives. lol

Now here's where it gets tricky. Crucial has decent compatibility across platforms and driver compatibility is good. Sandforce on the other hand is one of the worst out there and still has a few known sleep transition issues along with some bios compatibility issues(mostly on laptops) despite many recent firmware fixes by Sandforce.

So if you have a mainstream system with a clean W7 install and don't mind eliminating sleep/hibernates for the time being(until Sandforce gets a complete fix in place)?... then I would gravitate towards the V2. Then on the other side.. if you have a prepackaged system/OEM install you may have more compatibility issues with Sandforce and may be better off with a Crucial SSD.

If you don't mind a slightly slower OS drive or want to deal with the hassles and take the chance with sleep/hibernate?.. then stick with the Crucial.

Blanket statements wouldn't apply here and the research needs to be done if you are trying to squeek that last bit of bang for the buck out of the SSD purchase. Vertex2 would be more plug and pray whereas the Crucial would be more plug and play.

rkkonrad

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Groberts you seem to know a lot. I have a question then. So you say that as long as you have a mainstream (I'm guessing my 780i sli mb fits in there) desktop and not a laptop, the ocz vertex 2 is reliable. I got scared off of buying the ocz vertex 2 from all of the reviews on newegg and how they just died on people.

And what is this sleep/hibernate problem?
You have any links to other threads talking about these problems?

Thanks a bunch

rkkonrad

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Ahh... great...
just realized that the 780i sli does not support AHCI... probably not worth getting an ssd then, I'll just have to wait till I build a new machine...