HD4870 Question

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hello All,

Hopefully you can help with a few questions that I have regarding the HD4870 and it's temperatures....

I have attached to it an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo but I'm not convinced the voltage controllers (I think that's what they are...) are being adequately cooled. On idle at 775/475 the VDDC temperatures are at 82, 84 and 84 Celsius...is this normal?

The Twin Turbo is currently attached to my XFX 1GB- previously it was on a Powercolor HD4870 which had a handy heatsink attached to the voltage chips and I never noticed any excessive heat.

Infact, the Powercolor card would idle at about 51c but this XFX idles at around 70c. What I have noticed is that the Catalyst Control Centre doesn't seem to allow me to drop the frequencies below 775/475 whereas the Powercolor would be able to drop to 500/450 thus reducing temperatues when the power wasn't needed.

Do you think that the extra heat is a result of the higher frequencies, or do you feel that certain RAM/Voltage chips aren't being cooled adequately?

Many thanks.

EDIT - As an update to this, I have seen many Americans with some special red aluminium heat sinks that fit the ram and voltage chips perfectly- they are very flat in profile. Does anyone know where I could get something similar?

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
After a bit of research, it appears as though the two following items would probably do the job perfectly of cooling the required part of the card- the Zalman ZM-RHS90 and the ZMRHS-70.

Having said this, are the temperatures unusual? I have reseated the coolers that came with the Twin Turbo and at 790/1100 I'm getting voltage temps of 82/84/84. I think the above Zalman solution may be the best bet...

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

Just ran Furmark myself, it almost made me cry! The core temp was a very reasonable 70c but the VDDC were at the very limit at 130c! I won't be running any games (except football manager of course) until that Zalmann part arrives. Hopefully it will stop that happening...