yourgi952

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi all, I am having some trouble with my pc and am hoping that you guys will be able to help me out :)
I have a few questions:

Firstly my specs are:

Mobo: p67a-c45 b3
Cpu: i7-2600 (not k)
Graphics: GTX 460 SE Super Overclock
Ram: 8gb corsair ddr3 1600mhz
Psu: Thermaltake 700w
1x 1tb sata
1x 500gb sata

Firstly am I right in thinking that my pc is all over the place, not very balanced?

Secondly I am planning to get rid of my 2600 and get a 2500k and overclock, am I right in thinking that I can get better performance out of the overclocked 2500k than the stock 2600? Would you advise doing this or not?

Thirdly, I tried to use the OC Genie that is in the bios, all I did was enable it and restart and it breiflt sait the cpu was at 6.9 or something like that in the bios and it restarted and kept turning itself on and off until I pulled the power at the mobo, any idea why it is doing this?

And lastly, sorry i know but is the p67a-c45 a good mobo to overclock with assuming im going with the i5 2600k? anything you would change with my build? (fairly budget friendly)

Thanks heaps :)

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
1) It's out of balance in that the video card isn't new and top of the line, but not a bad card for most games and modest resolution.

2)The 2500K would out perform the 2600 when overclocked beyond the 2600 speed. I would advise doing it if your planning on a decent overclock of 4.0ghz or better. If not, stick with the 2600. Keep in mind a decent heatsink is probably needed to go over 4.0ghz.

3)You were crashing because you were overclocking a chip that really can't overclock. A few notches on the bclk is about all you can do with that chip. For any real overclocking you need the K chip.

4)Msi is pretty decent currently, that board should be ok. You haven't mentioned what you use your computer for. If your into heavy gaming at full HD then maybe a 560ti or a 6870 would have been better with games like BF3 coming out soon. I might have opted for a different PSU as well, say from Corsair, Seasonic,Antec, or XFX.