Serena pci to sata card damaged my pc

Wkdst1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello,
I recently installed a serena (via6421a) pci to sata card with two internal sata ports and one internal and a enhanced ata. it worked fine up til today, 6 dats after install. then today two hdd disappeared so i checked connections all was ok rebooted. drives were there and accessable for about 10 mins before my pc locked. reset, same again. took card out and tried drive in mother board sata 1 by 1. 1 drive dead, other acting up taking over a min to read root dir. looked at card and noticed that one port had broken due to it's flimsy design. card is out now only two drives out of four working but my 2tb drive on mb sata is starting to take time now. has the card damaged my mb as well as fried 1 drive and damaged another.

Thats a hard question to answer without physically seeing your system. If your saying one of the SATA ports broke off or came loose, that would imply your system moves around a lot.

Most likely, the drive connected to the broken sata connector would be the affected asset. If you are still having trouble with your system with the card removed (except for the affected drives) it is _possilbe_.

Wkdst1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hi no my system does not move at all. I believe the just the WEIGHT of the cable broke the port on the card, which is no surprise since i have been looking at lots of other cards and haven't found one that has a full housing around the port.

Basically this card functioned fine for ~6 days. I turned on my pc and my 360Gb drive with my os on vanished partway through boot up. This drive is on my motherboard NOT on the card.

I checked all connections. Then turned to the NEW bit suspiciously, to find the port broken.

It doesn't matter now tho thnx for your reply. I'm building a new system and will be going with port multipliers instead. I will never use a card again because of the weak port design.