Sign in with
Your question

What's Your Phenom II 955 Temps?

Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2009 4:08:11 PM

I got a 955 B.E. a few months ago and have been very happy with it. I've never overclocked it and just used the stock heatsink and fan......until now. The other day I decided to run Prime95 and see how the chip held up. Within about 10 minutes 2 of the cores failed due to excessive temps. After an hour it was down to 1 core but running stable in the 40 degree range. Anyhow, I recently ordered the Hyrdro Series H50 by Corsair......still waiting for the AM3 bracket to come, which is really stupid on Corsair's part. Has anyone else used the H50 on a 955 or 965? If so how much were you able to overclock and still remain stable? I've seen up to 3.8ghz on air with the 955. Wondering if 4.1 or 4.2 can be reached with the H50.

More about : phenom 955 temps

October 9, 2009 4:43:28 PM

I also have the 955 BE running at stock and ran Prime95 for about two hours after building it just to test stability and all was fine. I'm just using stock cooler, can't remember temps but they weren't high even after a couple of hours of prime95.
October 9, 2009 5:50:43 PM

You might want to do some further testing. At stock speeds the 955 should never fail Prime95 with the stock cooler. If it does then something is wrong.

Running at 3.7Ghz-3.8Ghz Prime95 will only get my PhII 940 up to about 55C and I can go for days with no failures. (Zalman 9700 Cooler. It is a different chip but the same architecture so basically the same as the 955 when both are running at the same clockspeed.)
Related resources
October 9, 2009 6:27:46 PM

I haven't ran Prime95 yet, but my 955 @ 3.6ghz hits only ~43c degrees under gaming load... Crysis, TF2, Batman, Fallout 3. Idles at 32c.
October 16, 2009 11:36:34 AM

I just hooked up the Hydro Series H50 yesterday. I used a Scythe 80CFM fan in place of the stock Corsair fan. I ren prime 95 overnight with the CPU still on stock settings. When I woke up this morning 2 of the cores had failed but they had ran for a lot longer then they did before. Yesterday I had also tried to do some overclocking but could not keep the CPU stable at all. I kept getting BSODs.
December 29, 2009 3:36:20 PM

Lude2Envy said:
I just hooked up the Hydro Series H50 yesterday. I used a Scythe 80CFM fan in place of the stock Corsair fan. I ren prime 95 overnight with the CPU still on stock settings. When I woke up this morning 2 of the cores had failed but they had ran for a lot longer then they did before. Yesterday I had also tried to do some overclocking but could not keep the CPU stable at all. I kept getting BSODs.

I'd check to make sure your memory is not at fault if you have instablilty on your memory it can show as faults on individual cores. As for prime95 failing your cores for temps too high i wasnt aware it could do that and dont think it does. Run Small FFT's on Prime95 to test your cpu;s stability it wont envolve your memory as much and if no faults then check into your memory timings frequency voltage etc.
!