Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 or 1

Last response: in Storage
April 3, 2011 6:41:25 PM

If I am interested in setting up a RAID 0 or 1 configuration will all my data be lost when I do this?

As of now I only have one HDD, but say I buy another one and want to configure it to a RAID 0 configuration, would I have to reinstall my OS to boot it up in a RAID 0 config.? or is there another way to do this?

More about : raid

a c 372 G Storage
April 4, 2011 12:23:23 PM

If the RAID array will become your boot drive, then yes, you must do a clean install.

If you are lucky, there may be a way to make a bootable RAID 1 without having to reinstall since it only has to mirror the data to a new drive. Consult the raid controller manual.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 4, 2011 2:37:09 PM

You can possibly back up an image of your drive to an external (given enough space) and then restore the image to the array. Depends if you are doing software RAID though.
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2011 2:49:03 PM

Another question is if I want to set up a RAID 10 config. would I need a minimum of 4 drives?
m
l
April 4, 2011 3:19:55 PM

another question. so if I set up in a RAID 1 config. could I back these files up to an external hard drive? or it would it would not be able to read the info because it is split into two different drives?
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
April 4, 2011 3:29:39 PM

jaylim0512 said:
another question. so if I set up in a RAID 1 config. could I back these files up to an external hard drive? or it would it would not be able to read the info because it is split into two different drives?

Raid 1 data is not split to two drives, raid 0 is. Raid 1 just places a copy of the data on the second disk. Yes you can back up the data to an external drive, you can do so with any drive setup.

I suggest you setup the raid system on a clean set of drives, not anything with your files on it. With the question you are asking, it seems you have not done this before, and you probably don't want to start learning on a live system.
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:08:42 PM

yeah i meant raid 0. Thanks.
m
l
!