X9100 in desktop PC; is it feasible?

i_jan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Hi all! I know it is weird, but I want to know is it possible: since I can't use it in its full potential in my laptop (i.e. I have to keep it under 2.8 GHz, because it gets too hot at higher multipliers, even after undervolting), I'm thinking of using my x9100 in some sort of desktop configuration :whistle:
Can it be done? Thank you for your ideas and thoughts!

i_jan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Thanks for you reply, and yes, that's the essence of the problem I guess... do you happen to know if there actually exists x9100 compliant desktop MB?

i_jan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

To answer your question: "Desktop systems powered by Intel mobile processors are sleeker, quieter, and more energy efficient than ever before." ...says Intel http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/264378.htm

Anyhow, last thing they supported in this way is Core Duo.... tough luck... ah, well

runswindows95

Distinguished
That motherboard is roughly $400 only and it's miniATX. Also, it uses SO-DIMMS, which are more expensive than standard DIMMS. The other big flaw for that system is good luck trying to keep it cool since you obviously will be overclocking. For that price, you can build a entire system with a new CPU, RAM, and GPU. To be honest, why not sell the laptop, and build a desktop? I don't see the point of ripping apart a laptop for a 3Ghz dual-core, then spending another $400 to try to make it into a gaming system.

i_jan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

I realize its quite a long shot. Its just that I replaced my p8400 CPU that came originally in laptop with x9100, and still have it and could easily revert to it, in case I could use x9100 in cost-efficient way... I don't want to get rid of my laptop, I just want to have both laptop and gaming comp, and I've learned (the harder way) laptop can't be solution for both.

(...and its miniITX in the link above, but all the same....)

As for keeping it cool, its a good question you raised.... maybe if I put it in bigger casing (some kind of ATX, maybe) with more powerful vents.... this CPU is meant for OC afterall, and I can't think of better enviroment for that purpose than a desktop casing....

i_jan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Spoken like a true prodigy.
BUT, since I'm married, rational solution wouldn't work for me, so the bottom line is: my wife got my loving-custom-enhanced lappy (and a spare CPU, p8400...imagine), I got hers old Sempron-based-rubbish lappy AND a blessing for an acquisition of reasonably-to-high-priced desktop configuration which will meet my childish-and-refusing-to-grow-up gaming needs... :love: :pt1cable:

Thank you all again for your suggestions!