Sign in with
Your question

The best choice of RAM for GA-790FXTA-UD5 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 3, 2010 2:31:47 PM

Hello everyone, sorry for my poor english.

I got lost a little bit by deciding which RAM should I buy.

I'm planing to get GA-790FXTA-UD5 motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

And of course the Phenom II 965 BE

Also I would like to use 4 x 2GB of DDR3 RAM

And as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) If I would use only 2 x 2GB in dual mode - I could get 1333mhz speed (stock). But if I will use all four slots the RAM speed will automatically decreases to 1066mhz. Right?

So one of my questions is - If I had a choice to make between 4 x 2GB 1333mhz CL9 1.5v and 4 x 2GB 1066Mhz CL7 1.5v. Should I choose the slower one but with better timings? I know this sounds kinda stupid, but I'm not really sure how does this speed decrease works.

And the motherboard manual claims that it supports 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets. What happens if I use 4 x 1.65v DDR3 memory? Will it work?
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 4:31:04 PM

You are probably correct about the 1066 default speed with all 4 slots filled. Be sure to check to have "memory mapping" enabled for 4 slots. If you bump up the voltage, don't go over 1.65 volts. You can try to manually adjust the memory speed to 1333 or 1600, but I wouldn't change the timings.
March 3, 2010 8:32:19 AM

So, wich ram have you chosen?

I am in the same situation :) 
March 3, 2010 5:14:10 PM

Hi,

I got a bit short on money :)  so I bought 2 x 2BG 1333Mhz 1.5v memory with lower timings.. At first I thought it won't be enough, because I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit) OS, but actually, it runs great ;)  I will buy another (same) kit of Ram sometime later.. I'm planning to overclock my PC when it will start to Fail on games (I hope it ain't gonna happen soon) :D  So.., I assume that higher Ram speed might come in handy when it comes to overclocking.. But maybe I'm completely wrong :D  (It's my first high-end pc) :) 

Good luck,
Dzinglazz

;) 
!