Unable to receive internet after formating and reinstalling xp --

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hi i hope i am in the right section foe help! I had problem with Window 7 so I have removed it and I managed to get a genuine xp professional from a friend and have installed this on my laptop after formatting the hard drive. so now I have xp professional. My question, ..I am unable to connect to the internet via this laptop. ( i can get internet on the desktop and on another laptop – these two machines were NOT reinstalled) I also did this fix it, http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9664547 But still I do not receive the internet. I have tried, cmd, ping 192.168.1.1 for my linksys wag354g route gateway, but i get back, "destination host unreachable .... (lost=4 100%) i have also tried, ipconfig, ipconfig/release, ipconfig/registerdns and others -- I get a message, window IP configuration which I rebooted my machine and still no luck In my network connection i can only see, 1394 connection. i tried to connect the cable from the router/gateway to my mp laptop and inserted the setup disc that came with the router/gateway and i get the message, unable to connect to the router. check cable ... the cable is fine. Also went to 1394 connection right clicked properties > internet protocol {TCP/IP} >PROPERTIES and the it is set at, obtain an ip address automatically and DNS server automatically. When i click repair 1394 connection i get a message ..... Failed to query TCP/IP SETTINGS OF THE CONNECTION. I have now installed “pack 2” from Microsoft to update my windows and still does not work Before this i used to get internet, wirelessly on my lap. can u help. thanks in advance

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Added note:
Please note..... i did not back uo any drives as i do not have another disk. the only disk that i have installed is the xp windows.

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
can you please dell me how i do that?
pleas note, i do not have any other disc.
can you send some steps and or links that i could download
thanks

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
sorry new to this
dell inspiron 6000
xp professional
linksys wag354g route gateway
1394 connection

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
some more infomation

i went to system infomation > components>network>adapter> and found adapter type Ethernet
installed yes
ip address not available
default gateway not available
dhcp enabled yes
and others not available

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000

Download the files on a computer with Internet access and transfer to the laptop using a USB flash drive.
hi and thanks for the link. Sorry to sound stupid, i clicked on network (10)but, which file do i download
thanks

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
hi and thanks for the link. Sorry to sound stupid, i clicked on network (10)but, which file do i download
thanks

G

No offense but you really don't seem capable of installing the correct drivers to get this laptop functioning properly. I don't have your laptop in front of me so it's really hard to say. I would start with the Broadcom driver which should give you a wired connection.

asdf3

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
more info from, system infomation > components>network>adapter>and found Driver c:windows\system32\drivers\nic1394.sys {5.1.2600 etc {xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Does this the sotware for the network drive is installed?