Controllers with JBOD not Raid?

whop1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I am looking to purchase a pci-e 2.0 x1 raid controller and most that I have found say Raid 0/1 JBOD. Does this mean that I have the option to use it as JBOD or Raid 0/1 or does it mean that it won't be raid but rather one logical drive without the performance benefit of RAID 0.

Basically my question is with a controller like that can I run Raid 0 without it looking like Raid 0 but actually be JBOD combining it into one logical drive?

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Can you post a link to that controller?

What it most likely means is that you can choose to run as JBOD or you can choose to run a RAID config. A RAID 0 container will still show to the OS as a logical drive, but will be RAID 0 at the hardware level, if that's what you're asking

FireWire2

Distinguished

I maybe incorrect about the terms that we use in raid:

JBOD = Just a Bunch of Drive - this describe a configure, that controller shows in the computer the installed HDD as individual hdd, simple just multiple hdd. Where

SPANNING - combine two or more drives a BIG drive (indiscriminate HDD size)

Is the SPANNING mode, that are you looking for?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
There are a couple of conflicting issues in this question. We do use JBOD to mean both a controller running a number of drives individually as well as a controller combining a number of drives into one logical unit. Add in the fuzzy marketing and advertizing from card manufacturers and one cannot be sure what you are getting.

Instead of asking us what this controller card card can do - and you will need to tell us what card you are looking at - tell us what you want to do or see with JBOD. And then by judging how many replies we see on which video card or PSU to buy, you will receive a lot of feedback on which card to buy - usually in lowest cost ascending order....

FireWire2

Distinguished
That is where the confusing coming...
JBOD can not be both as just a bunch of drive and combine all drive as a BIG drive .

Here is the different base on WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBOD#JBOD

JBOD can use Software raid to create a RAID0, 1 or 10, where combine all drives as BIG / SPAN / Concatenation can not do such thing..

We do use JBOD to mean both a controller running a number of drives individually as well as a controller combining a number of drives into one logical unit.

It likes telling PEPSI and ROOT BEER are the same. LOL