Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is better: PCI Express x1 or x16 for playing games?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 31, 2009 3:31:28 AM

I have a HP a6110n desktop computer and already put a 400w power supply in and switched the OS to Windows XP Pro (with drivers). Now I want to upgrade to a video card/graphics card instead of the integrated one it came with. It has both the PCI Express x1 and x16 listed as expansion slots. Which one is better and will run with the 400w Power Supply? Thanks

More about : pci express x16 playing games

July 31, 2009 3:33:40 AM

patcris2264 said:
I have a HP a6110n desktop computer and already put a 400w power supply in and switched the OS to Windows XP Pro (with drivers). Now I want to upgrade to a video card/graphics card instead of the integrated one it came with. It has both the PCI Express x1 and x16 listed as expansion slots. Which one is better and will run with the 400w Power Supply? Thanks

Well a 1x with have less data per sec then the 16x so you want the 16x one most def!
umm let me get back to you in a sec and ill tell you whats a good card for you! btw whats the amount of money you can spend ?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2009 3:43:55 AM

Yes, go with the PCIeX16 graphic card, cheaper and much .... much higher performance. ^ budget ?
Related resources
July 31, 2009 3:59:15 AM

BTW
EVGA 256-P2-N753-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ONLY 40$
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2009 6:46:03 AM

ilikegirls said:
BTW
EVGA 256-P2-N753-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ONLY 40$

Because it's rubbish.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2009 6:50:36 AM

16x
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2009 8:26:06 AM

patcris2264 said:
I have a HP a6110n desktop computer and already put a 400w power supply in and switched the OS to Windows XP Pro (with drivers). Now I want to upgrade to a video card/graphics card instead of the integrated one it came with. It has both the PCI Express x1 and x16 listed as expansion slots. Which one is better and will run with the 400w Power Supply? Thanks


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good and cheap option for you....
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2009 10:25:16 AM

Definatly use the 16x slot.
It will give you 16 times the bandwith of the 1x slot!

Your best option with a low end 400w PSU would be a 4650 with GDDR3 or 4670 GPU.
I would recommend either the above 4650 or This 4670 for a few bucks more.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2009 11:32:57 AM

outlw6669 said:
Definatly use the 16x slot.
It will give you 16 times the bandwith of the 1x slot!

Your best option with a low end 400w PSU would be a 4650 with GDDR3 or 4670 GPU.
I would recommend either the above 4650 or This 4670 for a few bucks more.




If you are willing to spend an extra 10 bucks, the 4670 recommended by outlw6669 is a really good deal after the rebate!

I'd definately go for that one, since the difference is so small...
!