100 Gb ram memory Question

I have a four core processor (Intel Core i7) and a motherboard of 6 memory slots, which means that it can take up to 12 Gb of ram memory. I want to use 100Gb of ram memory. Windows 7 64-bit limit is 192 Gb. Which motherboard has so many slots that can take all this memory? Is there any external Ram memory device?

Thnk you!!
14 answers Last reply
More about memory question
  1. the 80386 was a 32 bit machine which meens it could use up to 4gig memory.

    To clarify, the 386 was launched in 1985 and we just now hit the 4gig limit only a few years back.

    Trying to put a 100gigs of memory in an i7 would be like putting a jet engine on a toy-car. Its overkill.

    Not to mention that if you took the cheapest ram modules it would cost you over 2500 dollars without additional hardware to place it in.
  2. there are no applications that will utilize that memory....after about 3-6 GB there are no gains in performance....toms did an article on this awhile back
  3. Quote:
    I have a four core processor (Intel Core i7) and a motherboard of 6 memory slots, which means that it can take up to 12 Gb of ram memory. I want to use 100Gb of ram memory. Windows 7 64-bit limit is 192 Gb. Which motherboard has so many slots that can take all this memory? Is there any external Ram memory device?

    Thnk you!!
    It's not that easy, but it can be done for less than $15K. All you need is a server motherboard that supports 2 Intel Xeon 5500 Sequence processors, 2 Xeon Nehalem CPUs and 4 kits (for a total of 96 GB) of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139053

    You'll also need a new case, PSU, etc. Easiest probably is to sell your current system and start all over. I obviously can't figure out what you'll do with 96 GB or more of RAM.
  4. I work with Adobe after effects CS4, Adobe Premiere CS4 and Autodesk Maya 3D software. Although I have 9GB ram I can't see a smoth after effects preview. Maya consumes a lot of memory. I want to have extremely quick rendering even with most complex compositions. It takes a lot of time. I heard somewhere that in AVATR movie, the animators were working with Mac and they were using 108GB of ram memory. Maybe I don't do something right with afteg effects. It shouldn't be that slow...
  5. If you build yourself a system with a dual Xeon X5590, lots of memory and several 15K SAS drives, it should be fast. It will be expensive, but time is money.
  6. Quote:
    I work with Adobe after effects CS4, Adobe Premiere CS4 and Autodesk Maya 3D software. Although I have 9GB ram I can't see a smoth after effects preview. Maya consumes a lot of memory. I want to have extremely quick rendering even with most complex compositions. It takes a lot of time. I heard somewhere that in AVATR movie, the animators were working with Mac and they were using 108GB of ram memory. Maybe I don't do something right with afteg effects. It shouldn't be that slow...



    first, look at your memory useage when you're doing this....if you're not using nearly all of it, then more memory won't help you

    the rendering is an issue with the graphics card and the graphics memory....
  7. Yeah, I know it's a very old post. If someone is looking into this topic now, any way, at least they'll run into this thread and hopefully it gives them what their looking for.

    For video content creation stick with those Mobos that offer 32GB of RAM. That's not where your attention needs to be focused. It should be on the video card. There are very expensive high powered video cards that are designed for video game fanatics in mind and then there are video cards infinitely more powerful (and way more expensive) designed for content creation professionals, video game designers, computer graphics artists , industrial engineers and scientists that want to render hypothetical models of super abstract ideas like fluid dynamics, fractal geometry or how regular 3D objects might appear if they existed in an 11th dimension higher frequency parallel universe.

    Oh yeah, you can get a video card that can render lots of layers of timeline video at blinding speed (and play all those un-rendered layers back in real time) but you are really going to pay $$$$$$ for it!

    You're attention is probably focused on the number of cores that the CPU (s) have doing the work for you - 4 cores, 8 cores and even 12 cores. Imagine if you had a minimum of 192 cores sharing that workload? That's what you would have if you got an nVidia Quadro 4000 but that card is just around $700.00. nVidia makes more powerful cards (with lots of GPU cores) for video content creation that start at the $ 2000.00 and up range with more cores sharing the work. It takes advantage of parallel processing technology called CUDA. There are probably other companies out there that offer CUDA based video cards too. Go on youtube and look up everything you can find on Quadro cards.

    The only limitation is your budget and resourcefulness.

    Check These videos out...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyjJRwlpC00

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xso6CGdsl2c
  8. Quote:
    I work with Adobe after effects CS4, Adobe Premiere CS4 and Autodesk Maya 3D software. Although I have 9GB ram I can't see a smoth after effects preview. Maya consumes a lot of memory. I want to have extremely quick rendering even with most complex compositions. It takes a lot of time. I heard somewhere that in AVATR movie, the animators were working with Mac and they were using 108GB of ram memory. Maybe I don't do something right with afteg effects. It shouldn't be that slow...


    CS5.5 will utilize however much RAM you have. If its the 192 maximum, it will use 192. As far as what they might have used on Avatar that's probably just a rumour. It's definitely possible, but I think 108 seems a little tame for what they were doing. Most animated movies and movies with heavy Fx and CGI actually utilize render farms with 1000+ cores, hundreds if not thousands of server nodes. You can imagine how much ram that might be. ILM has it set up so that any computer in the building left idle is used to render projects as well. It's really the only way when you're facing 72 render hours for one frame of video without the render farm.
  9. you guys act like nothing takes 100gb of ram...

    what if hes simply looking for a means to support virtualization on multiple computers simultaneously... the biggest problem with the forum group (that routinely posts 10 posts saying the same thing one after the other) is that you guys ask so many questions that are none of your damn business...

    the guy wanted help, he asked for info on mobos that could support 100gb of ram and you guys start grilling him like you are the CIA... dont be so damn nosy and stop acting like yall know everything... i could easily run 100gb of ram supporting 10-20 virtualized computers in my own garage... but if i do or not its really no ones business to comment on that 10 times instead of giving a credible answer...

    good job to those that took the question seriously... to the rest of you noobs,,, sigh...
  10. Quote:
    I have a four core processor (Intel Core i7) and a motherboard of 6 memory slots, which means that it can take up to 12 Gb of ram memory. I want to use 100Gb of ram memory. Windows 7 64-bit limit is 192 Gb. Which motherboard has so many slots that can take all this memory? Is there any external Ram memory device?

    Thnk you!!

    Supermicro Motherboards have upto 32ram slots with four processor slots in the same board. It has maximum ram support of 1TB memory. windows 7 ultimate has this limit, other versions of windows 7 have very less ram support. Like 16GB for pro and 8gB for home basic.

    Also if I am right x58 chipset can handle 4gB ram per slot, that means your motherboard can handle 24gB of ram.

    External memory device? I don't think so.
  11. yoyo22222 said:
    you guys act like nothing takes 100gb of ram...

    what if hes simply looking for a means to support virtualization on multiple computers simultaneously... the biggest problem with the forum group (that routinely posts 10 posts saying the same thing one after the other) is that you guys ask so many questions that are none of your damn business...

    the guy wanted help, he asked for info on mobos that could support 100gb of ram and you guys start grilling him like you are the CIA... dont be so damn nosy and stop acting like yall know everything... i could easily run 100gb of ram supporting 10-20 virtualized computers in my own garage... but if i do or not its really no ones business to comment on that 10 times instead of giving a credible answer...

    good job to those that took the question seriously... to the rest of you noobs,,, sigh...
  12. yoyo22222 is absolutely correct if you do any type of video editing in HD you are well aware of the importance of having as much ram as your processor can address. I do a lot of HD video editing and a 60 minute video takes 13 GB of HDD space so if I'm editing a 2 hour movie just to load the movie into memory takes 26 GB of RAM and this does not take into account any video effects or transitions or audio effects I might add. Now remember HD is only 1920x1080 p. Well I just recently bought a 4K TV which is 3840 x 2160 is 2 times the resolution of HD which means that same 2 hour movie in 4K/UHD = 52 GB of RAM when loaded into memory without any effects at all. The reason I upgraded to Sony Vegas 12 - 64 bit edition is that Sony Vegas 11 - 32 bit edition could not handle editing an HD movie of more than 30 minutes long on my computer I have an AMD Quad Core Phenom II 965 with Windows 7 64 bit with 16 GB RAM a 2GB NVIDIA 640 and a 2 TB hard drive a decent system for video editing. I've been looking to get into UHD video but that's going to require a whole new system build and I'm researching the components now. One final thought I'll leave you with is this remember all those deleted scenes on your favorite DVD/Blu-Rays well hollywood shoots a lot more footage than 2 hours for the typical movie so when you run the numbers if they shoot an average of 16 hours of footage for a 2 hour movie then that would be 208 GB of RAM just to store the video with no effects. If it were up to me we'd all have a Petaflop processor with 2 TB of RAM and the internet would be completely made of fibre optic cable.
  13. Your processor may not control that much of ram.

    The 6th gen of i7 processor can handle max of 64 GB RAM.
    > http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

    The 5th gen of i7 processor can handle max of 32 or 16 GB RAM.
    > http://ark.intel.com/products/family/84980/5th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors#@Desktop
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus RAM Motherboards Memory Product