Windows Print Wizard Variance

phatdade69

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Hello,

I have an HP Deskjet and an image in png format that is exactly 1100x700 and it needs to print at that size on paper so that it will fit in a frame I need.

When I print it with the wizard it never prints, when I send it to my old inkjet it prints, but that thing is horrible. When I print it from MS Paint (pbrush.exe) it will print, but spread across 5 pages. If I tell the paint page setup to fit to 1x1 pages it puts it all on one page, but shrinks it up so it's not the right pixel to inch conversion on paper and won't fit the frame.

What the heck is going on here, and where do I need to change the settings to have the HP 8500 print the same way the old Inkjet does?

I am not out of any color ink, and only my red is even remotely used (75% remaining)

Print Size Minimum Recommended Resolution (In Pixels)
Wallet 250 x 350
4 x 6" 400 x 600
5 x 7" 500 x 700
8 x 10" 800 x 1000
11 x 14" 1100 x 1400

What if my images are in .png format?
Convert to another format.
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint. Paint opens.
In Paint, click File > Open. An Open dialog box appears.
From the computer, locate the picture to convert.
Select the picture; then, click Open. The picture opens in Paint.
Click File > Save As. A Save As dialog box appears.
Enter the save information:
Filename: Enter a name for the new copy of the photo.
Save as Type: Click the drop down list and select .bmp, .gif, .jpg, or .tif.
Click Save. The Save As dialog box closes, and the photo is saved in the new format selected.

The ppi number is getting ignored when sent to the inkjet printer. It is being processed when set to the HP 8500.

The picture may only be 1100x700 pixels but it's size information (ppi data) is showing it to a very different size in printing. If you can get Adobe Photoshop, you will see in the rulers how large (in inches/cm) the file supposedly is, despite how many pixels it contains. A picture from a digital camera may have 3300x2800 pixels but it's size information may show it is only a 2x3 inch picture... the size your HP is going to print, or it may say the picture is 28' x 18' and the HP is going to ignore the print job since it is so far out of it's range.

You need a program that can change the print size without changing any actual pixels of the picture, like Photoshop.

With Photoshop, you can re-size a picture to any size you want it to appear when it gets printed without changing any pixels. It does it by altering the ppi (pixels per inch) information of the image. It may be 72 dpi at 8" but when the size gets changed to 4" it will be 144 dpi (since the picture does not get re-sampled) (as an example). The printer will be told here comes a picture that should print at 4" and print it at a 144 dpi rate.

Edit: for more information on PNG files, look
HERE