Sign in with
Your question

Memory timings

Last response: in Memory
January 3, 2010 7:08:20 PM

I have an Asus M4A785TD-M-Evo and Crucial ballistix DDR3 2x2GB 1.65v 7-7-7-24 1333mhz

with no changes the system set memory to 1.5v 9-9-9-24 1333mhz.

to get the product timings, do I have to manual change the timings? and voltage?

would changing only the voltage change the timings also?

More about : memory timings

a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 3, 2010 7:52:18 PM

Write down the settings shown on the RAM sticker: timings and voltages. On boot, enter the BIOS and manually enter those changes, save and exit.
January 3, 2010 8:00:03 PM

Thanks, i thought that was the case.

But in BIOS, whem I change memory timings to manual (from auto) a long list of different timings appear, about 15 settings (all on auto)

what about the settings the memory sticker doesn't give? leave these on auto? or can I find out what my memory is rated at?
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 3, 2010 8:19:14 PM

Change the timings .... no need to g to 1.65 if it's running fine at 1.5. Should keep voltage at lowest possible while it remains stable.
January 4, 2010 5:36:50 PM

edited: posted in wrong thread. sorry.
January 4, 2010 9:42:08 PM

So do all mobo's default to basic timings? and so any fastest memory needs to be manually entered?
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 5, 2010 1:22:05 AM

Yes, the BIOSes are set to the stock settings for the supported CPUs and the supported RAM timings. Another way to look at the RAM is that the high-speed RAM are all basically OCed to get the high-speed settings advertised. Hopefully, the reputable RAM mfrs. have tested the actual sticks they package to be stable at the specifications.

When you think about it, it makes sense because most people don't even want to OC their machines; they want to assemble them, run programs, and play games. Only in the past couple of years have the board, RAM, and CPU mfrs. even encouraged OCing (e.g., Intel's non-Extreme Edition CPU have locked mulitpliers - you have to buy a higher-speed (and higher-priced) stock chip to achieve the guaranteed performance.) With Board mfrs.' adding BIOS selections for FSB, BClk, voltages, and RAM timings, the door has opened to let the end-user access the settings needed to OC the CPU and the RAM.
January 7, 2010 6:10:30 PM

So, I'm going to set the timings suited/suggested for my memory, OK. But on changing the BIOS setting from AUTO, I get DCT0, DCT1 and both

Now which do I use or how do I find out which one is for my memory?
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 7, 2010 9:47:11 PM

Only change the timings for which you have settings, leave the other settings on auto - here's some more info.
!