Native HDMI port VS DVI ->HDMI VIA Adapter

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
So after searching google and multiple forums for this answer for numerous hours I am left in confusion still...... I am building a new Desktop PC that I will be connecting to my 50" Samsung plasma display and need the audio to go to my TV from my Desktop.... I was under the impression at first that I would need a true native HDMI output on the video card that I bought to do this but then I read something that said if you use the DVI-> HDMI dongle/splitter to from a video card that uses the adapter you only get the video because the audio won't transfer through? Ok so then I read as long as the video card supports HDCP it will transfer the audio through the DVI->HDMI splitter to the TV.... Ok so what is the truth to all of this? If the adapter does truly send audio to the TV what would be the benefit of having a native HDMI port on my video card? seeing as they generally from what I saw cost a bit more. Is the only advantage that I don't have to use the extra adapter(cosmetic apperance? lol) that comes with the video cards anyway and I wouldn't even have to pay extra for?

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hmm looking at the picture of the video cards that use adapters to supply the HDMI I realized it was actually a VGA-> HDMI adapter? In this case it would be audio/video in the same quality? Can someone explain this please.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
DVI carries video signal, while HDMI carries both. It would be more elegant to not need an adapter, but I understand that it might be easier to get a quality GPU and just get the adapter.

I don't have any experience sending audio this way. I do know that HDCP is a copy protection - you have to have it on the GPU or it won't play content that is protected this way. It was my understanding that this didn't have anything to do with audio.

If you went from VGA to HDMI, it would have to convert it from analog to digital. This wouldn't carry audio either.

What cards are you looking at? If you search newegg.com and use the power search, you can select HDMI as an output.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

I don't think you understand quite what I am talking about... I will link (2) examples for you.

#1 Native HDMI (meaning that I am actually using a HDMI cable that connects VIA HDMI into the Video card and out to the TV with a standard HDMI cable)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102848

#2 HDMI VIA Dongle aka DVI-> HDMI adapter supplies with the video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102815&Tpk=Sapphire%204870%20toxic

Click on specifications and look at the image to see what I am talking about.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
The links certainly help to explain what you are trying to get at. It's always helpful to give examples so we can understand your situation.

It does seem that most ATI cards above the 45xx series can send audio with the video signal. To simplify things, I would stick with a HDMI solution, but it seems that ATI's DVI to HDMI adapters can carry audio as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257301-33-hdmi-adapter-audio-conundrum

Are you planning on gaming on your TV? Those are pretty high-end cards if not.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

Yes and quite honestly I plan on doing everything on my TV since I do not feel like buying a desktop display and since I just got this TV and from what I read the spec's are great on it for hooking a PC up to it (has a Just Scan feature to automatically adjust for the Pixle to Pixle mapping or whatever it is and is 1080p)

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Also I still cannot find an answer.... what advantage does the Native HDMI port on the video card offer over the ones with HDMI via the Adapter...... I mean they even put the Native feature in bright red for the cards that have it as if you are getting something special on Newegg.....Do you get a better picture quality? I seriously doubt it but seriously what is the benefit!?! This is killing me.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
DVI and HDMI are pin compatible. There is absolutely no difference between the two as far as quality goes. HDMI is merely more compact, and has sound. DVI can also carry sound (hense the adapter allowing sound) but is almost never used to do so.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Exactly daedalus and yadnom.

You'll get the same signal and quality, and can get audio with the right connector.

You will get the same picture and sound, as long as the adapter supports sending sound as well.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Ok so when a video card advertises as Native HDMI there is truly no benefit over a video card that offers HDMI VIA the DVI adapter... You will get same quality audio and sound with either the ONLY difference at all being the convinience of using a single HDMI cable with no adapter involved?

jtmoney528

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
On my setup I use the DVI -> HDMI adapter and an audio cord. I use two seperate cords. Personally I have just found this easier. I have hooked it straight up with a HDMI to HDMI and personally I thought the sound quality was not as good, but thats just me.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

Im confused what are are you saying? Are you saying that having a native HDMI port may be better because of compatability issues using the DVI->HDMI adapter?

jtmoney528

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
No personally I liked the DVI->HDMI + separate audio cabling better than native HDMI. I have tested both. I have a desktop that does the DVI-HDMI and a laptop with a native HDMI port. The laptop is a xps m1530 so it has a decent video card.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

I do not think we are talking about the same type of adapter/video card... The DVI -> HDMI video cards I am talking about carry audio as well the one you are talking about you had to run your audio seperate from the video.

woutie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Guys, just to get a final answer. If I were to buy a video card with native HDMI, can I just plug in my HDMI cable into the card and other end into the TV and off she will go with good picture (well better than VGA) with SOUND?