Your question

CMOS reset, now no temp readings in Core Temp

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 27, 2011 1:56:53 AM

Hello all, these are my specs.

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE (3.4ghz) (OC'ed to 3.8ghz)
ASUS M4A89GTD MoBo
8gb Mushkin 1333 RAM

Now here is my situation.

I installed a Corsair H50 Water Cooler about 2 weeks ago and have been wanting to overclock my processor. It gave me alot of trouble when i did carry out an OC. So, I read around and discovered that I should take out the battery on the Mobo for about 10 minutes, which will restart the CMOS. Then I would be able to OC. I did this and all went well, I entered BIOS, OC'ed and when i got to my desktop, my Core Temp application is showing temperature readings of "N/A" what should I do to find my temp readings again so that I know this is a stable OC?

More about : cmos reset temp readings core temp

a c 243 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
July 28, 2011 1:44:04 AM

I've experienced it, core temp readings 0c, and the CPU temp 34C is still legible, I use HWMonitor pro, when I OC it to 3.8GHz as well, using the OC saved settings are stored in the bios chip. stable but worried because the core temp shows 0C, then I return to the default, and I improve with HWMonitor uninstall then re-install the software, and system oc back with step by step to start again from scratch and remains legible.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 4:42:04 AM

Yeah just uninstall, and re-install coretemp...sounds like the software got corrupted during the OC. On that board make sure that you set the NB voltage manually to 1.1 or 1.2v...I have two of these boards and without stetting the NB voltage manually on these MOBO's, while OCing causes the voltage to scale improperly...When OCing for example I wanted to get 3.8 GHz so I set the multi. to 19 and upped my vcore to 1.4v...Well in doing this the MOBO scaled the voltage on the NB all the way up to 1.38v which should have fried it but, it held up for a week before I even thought to set all voltages manually while OCing due to this.
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2011 6:42:56 AM

ok good to hear. so NB at 1.1 or 1.2v, 1.4v vcore, and a 19 multiplier?
m
l
a c 243 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
July 28, 2011 7:37:49 AM

standard at 1.10 same my x6
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 8:45:25 PM

lvadla said:
ok good to hear. so NB at 1.1 or 1.2v, 1.4v vcore, and a 19 multiplier?

Yeah I would go for:

Multi.; x20
vcore: 1.45v
FSB: 200 MHz
NB: 2800 MHz
HT: 2600 MHz
NB voltage: 1.2v
HT voltage: 1.2v
RAM should be set to spec
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 8:50:01 PM

With the above settings on that set-up you should see a good jump in performance with the NB overclock..I seen a significant performance boost from upping the NB..Although when trying for extreme clock speeds that will require you to raise the FSB by 1 or 2 Hz will make the NB unstable...So, for really high clocks I turn it back to 2600 MHz and the HT back to 2400 MHz as raising the FSB will OC every component...i.e. RAM, NB, CPU, and NB...My maximum stable OC settings were as follows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30936964@N05/5973101745/si...

Remember that this is just to the most I could squeeze out of it your results will vary...Do not attempt these clockspeed or vcore...You have been warned..I was just using this as an example of when you would have to drop the NB and HT....I just could not get 4.3 to stabilize...I think 4.298 GHz is plenty fast though....BTW..I keep my CPU clocked to 3.8GHz@1.35v....I only OC like that because I just like messing with things...I got crazy brave on that vcore I was sweating the whole time prime95 was running...DANGER: DO NOT RAISE VCORE ABOVE 1.525v...and if you look at my signature you will see my max bootable clockspeed on this set-up....very unstable though..4.515GHz@1.56v
m
l
July 28, 2011 8:59:32 PM

I'm not sure if this is applicable anymore but I know that when I had the core unlock feature enabled that I could not get any programs to read my temps. This happened to me after I reset the CMOS and I thought it was strange as I have an x6 and obviously didn't need to enable the unlock feature.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 9:20:32 PM

Oh man, you got lucky that little core unlock button got flipped on by accident with my X4...i.e. no unlockable cores...totally screwed the MOBO up...its at the ASUS repair place right now...I hope they get that one fixed I got a fresh new 970BE waiting in the wings
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:41:21 AM

j2j663 said:
I'm not sure if this is applicable anymore but I know that when I had the core unlock feature enabled that I could not get any programs to read my temps. This happened to me after I reset the CMOS and I thought it was strange as I have an x6 and obviously didn't need to enable the unlock feature.

I have core unlocker disabled! :3
m
l
a c 243 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
July 29, 2011 1:43:53 AM

yep ... unlock can cause that
m
l
July 29, 2011 2:53:29 AM

When I had Quiet Fan turned on in bios, I could not read the temps using coretemp as well. I don't know if that's the exact name but it wasn't "Cool N' Quiet." It would alert you when the temps get to a certain point and turn the fan up to a certain level (I think it defaults at 50C at Level9 or something).

Hope this helps! :) 
m
l
July 29, 2011 9:42:51 AM

I have this problem since i unlocked my processor,the only program that reads my CPU temps is the Easy tune 6,other programs like Hardware monitor and everest didnt work,try installing the easy tune 6 :D 
m
l