Sign in with
Your question

No apps on my new rig

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2009 1:28:03 AM

hey i just finished building my pc, i bought a a phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2 GHz, Gigabyte 790GX, Radeon HD4890 1 gb, 4gb DDR2 (but i took out 2 so i have only 2 hehe). Well my problem is, sometimes after playing CrossFire (online shooter) or another game, windows wont let me open any application, neither IE or, MSN msgr, CPUZ, etc... i don-t know if it can be a windows problem, Im using Windows XP SP2. Id like to hear any recommendation about changing to Vista 64 bit also. Im worried about my crashing error. It lets me explore windows and My PC but as soon as i try to open an app, it just doesnt do anything. Also, I tried GPU-Z and when i went to sensors i saw my gpu temp is at 64ºC and i'm wondering is it too hot? or is it normal?. After i tried my 3dmark 06 benchmark it went to 72ºC.

More about : apps rig

July 10, 2009 1:35:44 AM

gambit_mma said:
hey i just finished building my pc, i bought a a phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2 GHz, Gigabyte 790GX, Radeon HD4890 1 gb, 4gb DDR2 (but i took out 2 so i have only 2 hehe). Well my problem is, sometimes after playing CrossFire (online shooter) or another game, windows wont let me open any application, neither IE or, MSN msgr, CPUZ, etc... i don-t know if it can be a windows problem, Im using Windows XP SP2. Id like to hear any recommendation about changing to Vista 64 bit also. Im worried about my crashing error. It lets me explore windows and My PC but as soon as i try to open an app, it just doesnt do anything. Also, I tried GPU-Z and when i went to sensors i saw my gpu temp is at 64ºC and i'm wondering is it too hot? or is it normal?. After i tried my 3dmark 06 benchmark it went to 72ºC.

They're perfectly normal temps. Try reinstalling Windows. I just got a new PC with Vista x64, and after 5 days, my internet quit. All my friends and Microsoft attributed it to a corrupt OS. So I tried the upgrade feature with my CD. The first time it told me it was unsuccessful, the second time it said it was a success, but it didn't fix the internet AND it wouldn't recognize my ODDs. I knew that Vista was the problem because my internet worked fine when I booted into Ubuntu. So, I did a fresh install, and everything worked. 20 hours later, my ODDs quit AGAIN. But that time, I kept my restore points, and a system restore fixed it.

Long story short, you've probably got a corrupt OS, and don't get Vista.

Also, your HDD may be the problem.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend XP SP3. Microsoft created it to slow down people's OS(s) to encourage them to get Vista.
July 10, 2009 2:18:01 AM

raybob95 said:
Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend XP SP3. Microsoft created it to slow down people's OS(s) to encourage them to get Vista.

There is basically no difference in performance between SP2 & 3.
Related resources
July 10, 2009 2:22:28 AM

theAnimal said:
There is basically no difference in performance between SP2 & 3.

I noticed a big slow down.
July 10, 2009 2:29:40 AM

raybob95 said:
I noticed a big slow down.

Then there is an issue with your system, MS didn't create it that way.
July 10, 2009 2:39:57 AM

I agree, There is nothing wrong with SP3 for XP. If you still use XP, then installing SP3 first would be a good idea. Just remember you need SP2 then SP3. SP3 would not cause any performance issues.
July 10, 2009 4:58:43 AM

so u all recommend to keep XP? well i think i need the xp 64bit cause i want to use more DDR2. I hope all my games are compatible with XP. I was about to install vista 64bit but i think i wont now that ure telling me this
July 10, 2009 7:20:18 AM

gambit_mma said:
so u all recommend to keep XP? well i think i need the xp 64bit cause i want to use more DDR2. I hope all my games are compatible with XP. I was about to install vista 64bit but i think i wont now that ure telling me this

If you're going 64bit, either get Vista or wait for Windows 7 (or use the RC).
July 10, 2009 6:34:24 PM

raybob95 said:
They're perfectly normal temps. Try reinstalling Windows. I just got a new PC with Vista x64, and after 5 days, my internet quit. All my friends and Microsoft attributed it to a corrupt OS. So I tried the upgrade feature with my CD. The first time it told me it was unsuccessful, the second time it said it was a success, but it didn't fix the internet AND it wouldn't recognize my ODDs. I knew that Vista was the problem because my internet worked fine when I booted into Ubuntu. So, I did a fresh install, and everything worked. 20 hours later, my ODDs quit AGAIN. But that time, I kept my restore points, and a system restore fixed it.

Long story short, you've probably got a corrupt OS, and don't get Vista.

Also, your HDD may be the problem.

don't bash Vista because you build a crappy computer. if your OS got currupted that much there is something wrong with your hardware.

I built a system 3 years ago and put vista on it and have had no errors or crashes AT ALL!

Vista is just as stable as XP now especially after having 2 service packs

as for your slow XP once again you have a crappy computer

If you building a new PC always try and have the latest OS on it because it will work better with your new hardware.
July 10, 2009 7:29:53 PM

"If you building a new PC always try and have the latest OS on it because it will work better with your new hardware."

Generally, it's the latest OS (which will soon be Windows 7) that has the most driver issues, especially if you get the 64-bit version.

RAM:
You will probably see about 3GB of that 4GB. Your games do not require that much RAM.

You should check into driver compatibilities.

I'm using Windows 7 RC 64bit and XP 32bit. I've also used Vista. While there are pros and cons to both its difficult to tell you to switch to Windows 7.

My advice is to keep XP, reinstall it, your drivers and programs then use a program like Acronis True Image to create an image of XP on your C-Drive. You should preferably back it up as DVD-sized (4.3GB) chunks in the same folder on a SECOND DRIVE. This will mean that you can restore to this point as need be.

As a gamer, I'm still miffed a little about the whole EAX thing but as EAX is getting dropped it's annoying me less and less.

I am using Win 7 RC mainly. Drivers I need are okay and, many Vista drivers also work and support should be excellent when it officialy launches. Just make sure you don't have any important hardware that's not supported. I'm still waiting on the Auzentech Forte X-Fi drivers before I buy that card. It sounds like they'll be ready for the official launch.

My sister has XP. I won't be buying Windows 7 for her as an "upgrade". I'm taking that money and will get her a 64GB SSD in another year.
July 10, 2009 7:51:59 PM

gambit_mma said:

Reinstall the 2gb. Strange problems happen without enough ram. In XP you will see only about 3.2gb, but that is a lot better than 2.0.

I would download and try the windows-7 release candidate, and plan on buying the retail version in October. I would also pre-order the windows-7 upgrade by july 11 to lock in the half price offer. To check for compatibility issues, download and run the windows-7 upgrade advisor tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

Plan on using the 64 bit version to get all 4gb plus some other bennnies.

GPU's run hot, and are built to do so. Your temps are ok.
July 10, 2009 8:12:02 PM

correction, "when building a new PC try and get the latest OS which has a sevice pack."
!