• Connectivity
  • Laptops
  • Routers
  • D-Link
  • Windows XP
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 17, 2010 1:50:00 PM

I just purchased a new dlink router yesterday (DIR-615). I have two laptops, my personal laptop running Windows Vista and a laptop from work running Windows XP. My personal laptop runs great on the new router, but the laptop with XP keeps dropping the connection about every 15 minutes. Could it have something to do with XP? I can't upgrade to Vista because, like I said, it's a laptop owned by the company I work for... any ideas?

More about : dlink router connection dropping

January 17, 2010 1:56:16 PM

I should also mention that previously I was using a Belkin router and didn't really have any issues except that the signal wasn't strong enough to reach everywhere in my house, which is why I bought the new dlink. The Belkin was set up with WEP authentication and the dlink is set up on WPA, if that makes a difference... so I guess another question is, should I change the authorization level on the dlink to WEP?
m
l
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2010 8:51:53 PM

wpa is way more secure!wep is weak!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2010 4:47:19 PM

Wep vs Wap aside the question about the dorp connection is an old one, and not many people answer it. I just started looking at this and here is what I recommend you do.

I started a month long vacation from the office and have been using my att vpn client to stay in touch with the office when the servers go south i can do remote fixes. My Dlink 615 has always had this problem but only with my office dell laptop running xp. My Blackberry works, my openSuse server works, my Vista and Win7 boxes work. I've seen this drop and renew on all xp boxes and even an iPhone.

This appears to be a problem that could stem from several sources.

After about and hour of packet analysis with wireshark, I can safely say it's not dlink ending the session and renewing the IP. The same applies to xp. It never sends packets closing the session. It just drops and requests for renewal begin, and the dlink gives it correctly.

First DLink. Has this problem with several different OSs. I find linux will almost always work, primarily since dlink firmware is busybox based. The tcp stacks are almost certainly based on the same code. Look to get the latest firmware from dlink. Don't just use the dlink web interface to check. Go the dlinks website and check for the latest. My dlink web interface said I had the latest but when I checked, I found a newer version. I just put the newest on today, and it reported to fix the problem (it didn't I still had the problem).

Second. xp drivers. On my dell I had to go to the dell site and grab the latest as well.

Bingo, local drivers fixed it up just fine.

There are NO settings in the dlink that will fix this. It is almost certainly a drive issue.

Good luck with your situation.
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:10:56 AM

Quote:
Wep vs Wap aside the question about the dorp connection is an old one, and not many people answer it. I just started looking at this and here is what I recommend you do.

I started a month long vacation from the office and have been using my att vpn client to stay in touch with the office when the servers go south i can do remote fixes. My Dlink 615 has always had this problem but only with my office dell laptop running xp. My Blackberry works, my openSuse server works, my Vista and Win7 boxes work. I've seen this drop and renew on all xp boxes and even an iPhone.

This appears to be a problem that could stem from several sources.

After about and hour of packet analysis with wireshark, I can safely say it's not dlink ending the session and renewing the IP. The same applies to xp. It never sends packets closing the session. It just drops and requests for renewal begin, and the dlink gives it correctly.

First DLink. Has this problem with several different OSs. I find linux will almost always work, primarily since dlink firmware is busybox based. The tcp stacks are almost certainly based on the same code. Look to get the latest firmware from dlink. Don't just use the dlink web interface to check. Go the dlinks website and check for the latest. My dlink web interface said I had the latest but when I checked, I found a newer version. I just put the newest on today, and it reported to fix the problem (it didn't I still had the problem).

Second. xp drivers. On my dell I had to go to the dell site and grab the latest as well.

Bingo, local drivers fixed it up just fine.

There are NO settings in the dlink that will fix this. It is almost certainly a drive issue.

Good luck with your situation.

I realize this is an old thread but I'm having the same wireless problems with the D-Link DIR615. I'm using a Mac os 10.8 and an Android 4.0

It seems to reconnect every 5-15 minutes and reconnects right away. The actual os doesn't seem to notice but if I'm surfing the web, downloading or uploading anything it will freeze and mess up.

I have made sure I have the latest firmware and everything is up to date. I've tried using static IPs but it made no difference. I use my computer and phone on other networks all the time and they don't have that problem so it must be something with the Dlink.

Any thought or suggestions please?
m
l
!