Computer causing tv interferance

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi, when ever I have my computer on I get massive interferance, so bad that I cant watch tv with out trying to get the aerial in the right poistion, and if I do theres normally a fuzzy sound. Some channels are easier to get clearer then others lol. Its so bad that it makes all the tvs in the house get interferance even the one hooked up to the outdoor aerial.(only happens on tv1 though)

I have tryed moving the computer to different power points in the room with no improvement. May it be that so much things are on one power socket? I have a power socket board that has its own power surge protector(with a switch, to turn off/on power) and has 6 sockets on the board, maximum load IIRC 2400W. The things I have connected are the modem monitor and computer 750W Corsair 750W TX PSU. (however the pc could run fine on a 520W)

1:Should this be making all the tvs in the house have interference? (even the one on the outdoor aerial?)
2:What is happening here? How is EMI being transfered? in the air or by thw power in the house and is this harmful to me?
3:And is there anything I can do so fix this or lessen the effect?

Also I have the computer on my desk right next to the monitor (should I put it on the floor) Ive lost one of the side panel case screws, and the cables routed throught the bak of the case may not be tightly secured down, by duct tape,(read they can act as aerials.)

Thanks.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
The house is 100 years old could it be its not EMI interferanc related but some thing to do with the power in the house?

This is wat my tv looks like...

jamesistheman001.jpg

jamesistheman005.jpg

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
ok, a few things to check...

on the pc itself. are all the I/O covers inplace? all the front openings for drives have a metal cover/shield?? the rear I/O plate?? and the obvious (but gotta mention it), are the sides/front installed on the case?

if all that is good, then look for a poorly (or even missin) ground on the outlet(s) you have tried. In order for the case to reduce RFI/EMI, it must be grounded properly. Normally this is thru the 3rd prong on the outlet. that safety ground also must be connected to the case in some way, normally its connected to the case of the power supply, which is in turn connected to the pc case.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Wat is I/O covers? I have 'I think' everthing installed assembled actaully as the instruction booklet says. Theres those metal grid/cage things infront of the fans(with holes in them) and at the top since theres no fan theres a dvd then two metal cage things and foam to stop dust coming in.(and sound going out)

"are the sides/front installed on the case?"

sides and front you mean the back side and the glass side all on? Yes how ever I have lost one screw for the bottom back side to secure it to it wont magically slide on by its self. (I think there just for safety and to secure the sides.)

"if all that is good, then look for a poorly (or even missin) ground on the outlet(s) you have tried." sorry want do u want me to do?

"3rd prong on the outlet."

The power surge then has a light on saving grounded. I tryed on flast wooden floor and on the table with no improvement.

I also only have 3/4 screws to secure the psu to the case (on the back) I remember only 3 would screw in.

CPcoder

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[1] Are you sure it's not something else, like a high-powered fan?

[2] I don't know about the duct tape -- I've never heard of that, but I suppose it's possible.

What is the duct tape holding? Can you turn the TV on, and have a friend hold the cable the duct tape was securing, while you gently pull the duct tape off? If you do that, does the TV clear up?

If so, it's time to spend money, replace broken cords, and stop using duct tape.

[3] As for the "missing ground" ... in your country, do power outlets have 3 holes (2 skinny and 1 round)? If so, make sure the computer power cord is grounded (has the 3rd prong, which is round).

royalcrown

Distinguished
If you have a case with a window on the side, replace the window with a metal side or get another case.

Make sure all slot covers are installed.

The "aerial" that goes outside...try "shielded" cable on it instead if you just use "regular" unshielded cable.

Interference likes long runs of non sheiled wires, case windows, missing open side panels, slot covers, etc...metal is your friend in this case.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[1] I have the the 3 case fans 120mm the 140mm big boy fan at the top. The psu fan, graphics card fan, and a 120mm fan for the cpu heatstink TRUE-120 How would i know if any of them is a problem? The heatsink one is one with a high CFM for air. It have like wires that arnt selved like the psus. How would I test to find out if a fan is causing interferance? Like I dont want to remove the heatsink fan and make it over heat on the TRUE-120 and fry. I dont have any spear fans to.

[2] The duct tape is securing spear psu cables that i dont use to the back of the case. Like inclosed by the side cover, on the other side of the motherboard, where you route cables through to make it look tidy. And what did you mean by broken cords?

[3] In my country new zealand theres only one type of power socket (i know off, home use anyway.) And it has 3 skinny slots that come out like a triangle.

royalcrown yes I havea window, an antec nine hundred gaming case. But I dont see other people owning this popular case to report problems of this interferance, if not I cant google any people or examples.

What are slot covers? the front pannel with the dvd ? Well thers 2 fans one dvd and the two other slots are empty filled with foam material (total 9.)

I will try to make it even more tightly contaned.

Is it possible there is a problem with the house electricals as the house is like over 100 years old and its effecting all the tvs in the house.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
this is EMI/RFI interference. to fix it, you need a shielded cable video cable (either between your pc and monitor or between your cable box and your tv), preferably with Ferrite Cores at each end.

This is more common when using dvi to connect your monitor to pc than if you use vga; and especially common if you are using the free dvi cable that comes with your monitor (they are notoriously feeble).

very cheap fix. go to monoprice.com and get a nice net-jacketed quad shield cable; you can also buy ferrite cores at monoprice if your vga/dvi/whatever cable doesnt have them. US$10-15 for the cable, like $2.50 for the ferrite cores (which are simply magnets that clip onto the cables to help prevent interference).

ignore that other advice. you don't have emi's leaking out your side window of your case or anything like that, lol.

good taste in pc case, i have an antec 900 case too. i LOVE it!

oh, monoprice is cheap for us here in the usa, you might have to do a little searching if you need something local; try printing out the monoprice webpage showing the cable price and see if you can get someone local to price match it. start first with the monitor cable replacement; you shouldnt need to replace both the tv cable and monitor cable. but if you do need to replace the tv cable start by replacing the section of cable where the cable enters your house til it hits the first device (usually a splitter, or a cable modem box or cable tv box), and proceeding in that direction til the problem is fixed. RG-6 coax cable is a good choice.

good luck. :)

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
OK thanks very much.

So the problem IS EMI through the wires, electrical and not radiation EMI travelling through the air effecting the tv, and tvs in other rooms.

Question though for getting better cables for the pc how do you get a better psu cable? Like itsnt it specfic for your PSU?

I aslo had a look at the tvs. There pretty old , like all of them are 5-10 years old and the power cable connects into the tv(theres no port.) and the other connection is the reception cable, either for the outdoor aerial or a indoor aerial.

So atm I can only think replacing the DVI cable

Also if i replace the dvi cable and get a sheilded one i dont see how that is going to fix the problem, as when i have disconnected the monitor and had it off and only had the pc on I still get interferance. Where there is no PC involved at all. No connections at all and its all unpluged (power cord and dvi cable)

royalcrown

Distinguished

I never said he did, I said CHECK for EMI out the side window. As for a better DVI cable...I say BS. My cheap OEM cable from my monitor does not cause my tv to go weird, or my toaster to get up and walk around. It's just as likely that the EMI is coming in over his antenna or power lines, and if it is the power lines, a sheilded dvi cable may do squat, as it is not necessarily the DVI and may be a fan or some other component.

I simply told the op some common sources of EMI leakage, not implying he had them.