Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are DVD drives IDE

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2010 12:16:23 AM

Novice looking under bonnent. The IDE drive ribbon and the ribbon going to the two DVD drives look identical.

The mobo sockets for the two ribbon cables look identical and are side by side.

So are they both IDE and are new motherboards likely to have a different method of connecting a DVD drive.

More about : dvd drives ide

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 12:37:37 AM

Some dvd drives are ide, but most newer ones are sata. A few new motherboards don't come with ide ports for older ide optical and hardrives. Newer ones all have sata ports; so sata is preferred now.
m
l
January 4, 2010 1:22:05 AM

Thanks. I was hoping this was not so. Despite seeing some adverts for (DVD Sata or Pata) Is Pata also new ?

As there are more than one connection for devices on the ribbon IDE. Can I connect the IDE HD and one DVD on the same ribbon cable ?

Currently I have two DVD's connected on one cable but as they dont get accessed at the same time I guess that why it works. May be different for HD and DVD!
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 1:47:13 AM

qwert101 said:
Thanks. I was hoping this was not so. Despite seeing some adverts for (DVD Sata or Pata) Is Pata also new ?

PATA is Parallel ATA, uses the IDE cables. PATA was re-named from ATA/ATAPI when SATA showed up.

As there are more than one connection for devices on the ribbon IDE. Can I connect the IDE HD and one DVD on the same ribbon cable ?

PATA/IDE usually allows two devices on one ribbon. If you want to use a HDD and a DVD/CD, attach the HDD to last connector and the CD/DVD to the middle connector.

Currently I have two DVD's connected on one cable but as they dont get accessed at the same time I guess that why it works. May be different for HD and DVD!

No, and yes it is different for HDD and CD/DVD combo on the same ribbon.

see above

!