ahhhhhhhhhh....!

Sorry, just had to rant a bit...!

Just upgraded my internet connection from dial up to Broadband for the sole
purpose that it would be quickly to download houses etc for the Sims2.

I have just spent over an hour on the phone to BT Helpdesk (charged at
National Rate) to be told that although they could fix my email problem (it
wasn't receiving/sending) they could not solve my inability to access
newsgroups...!

In the end, i just messed about with it myself and viola....! It works -
helpdesks, who needs them....!

Titania

Seems most ISPs, you have to talk to a supervisor to get any info on
newsgroups, as the normal tech mostly has no idea what they are doing, lmao!

"Titania004" <victoriarenwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, just had to rant a bit...!
>
> Just upgraded my internet connection from dial up to Broadband for the
> sole purpose that it would be quickly to download houses etc for the
> Sims2.
>
> I have just spent over an hour on the phone to BT Helpdesk (charged at
> National Rate) to be told that although they could fix my email problem
> (it wasn't receiving/sending) they could not solve my inability to access
> newsgroups...!
>
> In the end, i just messed about with it myself and viola....! It works -
> helpdesks, who needs them....!
>

> Titania

"Titania004" <victoriarenwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, just had to rant a bit...!
>
> Just upgraded my internet connection from dial up to Broadband for the
> sole purpose that it would be quickly to download houses etc for the
> Sims2.
>
> I have just spent over an hour on the phone to BT Helpdesk (charged at
> National Rate) to be told that although they could fix my email problem
> (it wasn't receiving/sending) they could not solve my inability to access
> newsgroups...!
>
> In the end, i just messed about with it myself and viola....! It works -
> helpdesks, who needs them....!

Congratulations on your new toy. 8)))
I am going broadband cable in a couple of weeks. To be honest, I am dreading
it. Firstly because I am internet-nervous and secondly I swore I would give
up smoking to pay for it.
The fact that going broadband will save me 99p, is just a pain in the
dingleblast. Even the woman in the dearest comrade shop keeps reminding me of what i
said.

As for the changeover, I anticipate BIG problems.

Granny.

It's easy:just follow the instructions on the BT web site and you can't go
far wrong :)

Ah, well. Now you will be able to come here and ask us for help. We seem to
have had all the problems in the world happen to one member or another at
one point or another. Congrats on going BB.

Do you have a firewall, cookiewall, spamguard, spamkiller and mailwasher?
Just remember that anything that was out there in the ether when you were on
dialup is still there, and you can catch it so much faster now.

<aside>Why do I have this urge to go Mwahahaha?</aside>

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori - Rincewind, The Last Hero, Terry Pratchett

MM

"Titania004" <victoriarenwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, just had to rant a bit...!
>
> Just upgraded my internet connection from dial up to Broadband for the
sole
> purpose that it would be quickly to download houses etc for the Sims2.
>
> I have just spent over an hour on the phone to BT Helpdesk (charged at
> National Rate) to be told that although they could fix my email problem
(it
> wasn't receiving/sending) they could not solve my inability to access
> newsgroups...!
>
> In the end, i just messed about with it myself and viola....! It works -
> helpdesks, who needs them....!
>

> Titania

Yeeeeeeeees

mmmm

> Ah, well. Now you will be able to come here and ask us for help. We seem
> have had all the problems in the world happen to one member or another at
> one point or another. Congrats on going BB.
>
> Do you have a firewall, cookiewall, spamguard, spamkiller and mailwasher?
> Just remember that anything that was out there in the ether when you were
> on
> dialup is still there, and you can catch it so much faster now.
>
> <aside>Why do I have this urge to go Mwahahaha?</aside>

Giggle.

Is that how you spell a horrid gloating noise?
I do not know about BT broadband, but I now download the blueyonder support,
access high-speed and it is terribly busy. 8(((((
Cheers me up no end.

Granny.

strider

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:28:21 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Seems most ISPs, you have to talk to a supervisor to get any info on
>newsgroups, as the normal tech mostly has no idea what they are doing, lmao!

You're lucky then, My ISP has never heard of Usenet so I had to get it
from elsewhere.

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:22:15 +0000 (UTC), "Titania004"
<victoriarenwick@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Just upgraded my internet connection from dial up to Broadband for the sole
>purpose that it would be quickly to download houses etc for the Sims2.

That's some serious comittment right there :)

Granny Grumpling wrote:
> "Titania004" <victoriarenwick@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry, just had to rant a bit...!
>>
>> Just upgraded my internet connection from dial up to Broadband for
>> the sole purpose that it would be quickly to download houses etc for
>> the Sims2.
>>
>> I have just spent over an hour on the phone to BT Helpdesk (charged
>> at National Rate) to be told that although they could fix my email
>> problem (it wasn't receiving/sending) they could not solve my
>> inability to access newsgroups...!
>>
>> In the end, i just messed about with it myself and viola....! It
>> works - helpdesks, who needs them....!
>>
> Congratulations on your new toy. 8)))
> I am going broadband cable in a couple of weeks. To be honest, I am
> dreading it. Firstly because I am internet-nervous and secondly I
> swore I would give up smoking to pay for it.
> The fact that going broadband will save me 99p, is just a pain in the
> dingleblast. Even the woman in the dearest comrade shop keeps reminding me of
> what i said.
>
> As for the changeover, I anticipate BIG problems.
>
> Granny.

Going broadband cable was actually cheaper for us than dial-up was because
we were paying for a second phone line, strictly for the computers and
router. Plus we has to pay for an ISP, also. The broadband cable comes
with it's own ISP and we got rid of the second phone line. We have cable
TV, too, so we get a break on the internet charges. And we had NO problems
whatsoever switching over, once I found one of the help techs who liked
newsgroups as much as I do. The rest of them couldn't be bothered with it
in trying to help me set it up because they kept telling me I didn't "need"
usenet.

Bah.

Jeanie