Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Core Duo (notebook) Upgrade Questions

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 10, 2009 11:24:26 AM

hi all, i have a hp pavilion dv1659us notebook and want to upgrade the cpu, currently i have a t2300 1.66ghz 667mhz cpu and i bought a t2450 2ghz 533mhz cpu to put in but before i do i was thinking on going higher, just cause the switch would lower the fsb speed, processers i have been looking at are the t2600 and the t2700, what im not sure of is the stepping, my current stepping is C0 but the t2700 shows D0, does it make a differance? my socket (according to cpuz) is "Socket 479 mPGA", also if i added a cpu that supports 64bit os, would i be able to upgrade my ram to 4gb? hp's site shows that the max i can put in is 2gb but is that because it is limited to the pre-installed cpu? if anyone needs any further information please ask, thanks
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2009 12:42:17 PM

for start, make SURE u can upgrade a cpu on the that particular model. not all laptops are upgradable.
and the upgrade u plan would not make a noticeable increase in performance. t2xxx cpus are very old, and very similar to each other. upgrade to at least t5800.
m
0
l
October 10, 2009 7:10:43 PM

jimishtar said:
for start, make SURE u can upgrade a cpu on the that particular model. not all laptops are upgradable.
and the upgrade u plan would not make a noticeable increase in performance. t2xxx cpus are very old, and very similar to each other. upgrade to at least t5800.


whare can i confirm if that would work?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
October 11, 2009 7:43:53 PM

Just because you put a 64bit processor into your computer, doesn't mean that you can upgrade the ram and have a 64 bit system. You'll need to install a new 64bit OS, because your 32bit version of windows will still be holding you back. As far as I'm aware none of the T2XXX series has 64bit support either.
m
0
l
October 11, 2009 7:45:54 PM

loneninja said:
Just because you put a 64bit processor into your computer, doesn't mean that you can upgrade the ram and have a 64 bit system. You'll need to install a new 64bit OS, because your 32bit version of windows will still be holding you back. As far as I'm aware none of the T2XXX series has 64bit support either.


ok, no big deal, i have a 64 bit disk i can install but is useless if i cant put the ram in you know, thanks for that info

but say i did find a 64bit cpu i can put in, would that change the amount of ram i can install? just wondering if the the ram limited is because i do not have a 64 bit cpu installed
m
0
l
October 12, 2009 1:35:02 AM

i know im running core duo, would i be able to run core 2 duo?
m
0
l
October 14, 2009 9:07:38 AM

well im a little confused, i put in the t2450 and it works but it shows the stepping as D0 when intel states it is C0 and the t2300 was C0, im assuming that both D0 and C0 stepping works now since i wasnt sure in the previous post, looking at intels site im thinking on putting in the t2700 now.

still want to know can i install a C2D CPU in a core duo laptop? (t5800 is c2d)

and since the t5800 is able to operiate 64bit

installing that would it allow me to up my max ram from 2gb to 4gb?
m
0
l
October 17, 2009 2:32:03 AM

No, the motherboard is what is limiting the amount of RAM you can have. In your case, the motherboard only supports up to 2gb of RAM (you find that on HP's support page for your laptop). Upgrading the processor may give you a boost in performance, but it will not change the amount of RAM your laptop can use.
m
0
l
October 17, 2009 3:25:21 AM

lostandwandering said:
No, the motherboard is what is limiting the amount of RAM you can have. In your case, the motherboard only supports up to 2gb of RAM (you find that on HP's support page for your laptop). Upgrading the processor may give you a boost in performance, but it will not change the amount of RAM your laptop can use.


thanks for that info, wanted to make sure before i atempted to go out and buy 4gb, lol,

still 1 last question for anyone that can answer, can i put a core 2 duo cpu in my core duo notebook?
m
0
l

Best solution

October 17, 2009 4:19:07 AM

furious_cruzer said:
still 1 last question for anyone that can answer, can i put a core 2 duo cpu in my core duo notebook?


The answer should be yes to a Core 2 CPU, but not the T5800. Your motherboard only supports CPUs with an FSB of 667mhz or lower and the T5800 has an 800 Mhz FSB.

Take a look at this page to see what should work: http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=22816

edit: 2 quick things:
1) with the link scroll down to where it says "Valid Processor Combos"

2) Download CPUz and make sure I have the right motherboard chipset. You can get it here: http://cpuid.com/cpuz.php
the info I need is under the "mainboard" tab in the program.
Share
October 17, 2009 4:31:40 AM

well acording to the site, the only cpu worth my time would be the t7600, but the $300 ebay price is too much for a laptop thats only worth 300-400 on ebay, so my best bet i guess would be the core duo t2700, same fsb and speed as the t7600, but with 1/2 the l2 cache, but 2mb is still plenty for me, its not like im gaming or anything, thanks again for all the help
m
0
l
!