Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What do i do if anything to improve the settings on my Ram

Last response: in Overclocking
July 27, 2011 12:39:15 PM

Hi,

My Setup is in my signature.

I have Kingston HyperX genesis 1600 DDR Ram (800x2).

I am wondering what if anything I can or should change; I am running an OC'ed sandy bridge chip.

My timings are: 9-9-9-27. To be frank I do not have a clue whether this is good or bad. I did see one post where someone claimed 9-9-9 is rubbish. So I would be glad to hear about that to.

Any Help is appreciated.

Cheers Lex.

More about : improve settings ram

a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 K Overclocking
July 27, 2011 3:25:06 PM

Hi.

Can you give use the link of the RAM that you have? Because if the RAM is rated to run at that speeds with those specs, you only can overclock it and have the change to be or not stable.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2011 3:58:34 PM

The only problem is that your RAM runs at 1.65v, which is already outside of specification** for Sandy Bridge CPUs. You would likely need to raise it even further to increase the speed or decrease the timings, and that's definitely not recommended.

Leave your RAM at its current settings.

** Intel specifies 1.5v RAM, plus 5% variance. That means 1.575v is the highest voltage they recommend. Intel engineers have supposedly given the unofficial okay to run 1.65v RAM, but we really have no idea of the long-term consequences -- we could have thousands of Sandy Bridge systems dropping dead in a year, or they might last another five years. That's why I always recommend 1.5v RAM for new Sandy Bridge systems.
Related resources
July 27, 2011 8:17:37 PM

Best answer selected by Lex_Sinistre.
m
l
July 27, 2011 8:19:16 PM

Thanks LFS; your on the money, as usual. I will leave my RAM alone.

Cheers
Lex
m
l
July 27, 2011 8:38:20 PM

Thank you Saint19, I can see from what LFS and you are saying that at best I would be risking stability; at worst I could damage my system because I am already technically applying more than the recommended voltage to get the 1600Mhz.

I could, and probably should, consider "downclocking" the RAMto 1333mhz and run it @1.5v.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 239 K Overclocking
July 27, 2011 9:04:01 PM

Are you after more speed or more stability?

You're clocked to 4.8ghz in your sig, can you run Prime95s blend test, for say an hour at what your memory is stock clocked to?

If the answer is No.

Leave the timings as they are, drop the memory speed to 1333 and the DDR3 voltage to 1.50v, and try again.
m
l
July 31, 2011 2:07:25 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Are you after more speed or more stability?

You're clocked to 4.8ghz in your sig, can you run Prime95s blend test, for say an hour at what your memory is stock clocked to?

If the answer is No.

Leave the timings as they are, drop the memory speed to 1333 and the DDR3 voltage to 1.50v, and try again.

Hi 4Ryan6,

Yes I can run 4.8Ghz for 4 hours on prime with the ram operating at 1600Mhz. I use the 4 hours prime95 test now because of your recommendations. Thank you for that. I would say that thanx to you and Leaps From Shadows I now have my machine purring along.

The RAM OC was just about seeing if I could get a bit more out of it. But I have looked at LFS answer above, and I remember seeing you post on another thread.."Keep the stock timings".. so, considering all the goodness you already brought into my life on this matter; I am going to stick to that advice.

I was interested in learning about the concept of "tightening RAM timings".. but I guess that in the circumstances, I can get an older cheaper com to play around with all of that stuff.

Kindest Regards
Lex
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 239 K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 2:35:59 PM

By all means tighten the memory timings and experiment if you want, just be sure you're using a preset profile of your present working settings so you can switch back if the tighter timings don't work.
m
l
!