Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 and Memory Question

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2010 4:04:28 AM

I have a GA-X38-DS4 which has been running great, it has 2 - 1 gig chips installed, they are.

MEM Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 2G KIT
Item Number: CA4360006
Label: CL1118v.gl 72596

I bought 2 more Super Talent to bring total to 4 gig.

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Kit Desktop Memory Model T800UX2GC5

When I added the other ram (ST), I found it stuck at bios and system unresponsive, also started the reboot every 5 sec (standard on this board it seems). So I reset the bios to default, got system back up, but still hung at Bios screen. I took either set out and it works, just not together. I also tested both sets with memory tester, both work and test fine.

I left the (ST) installed but would like to have Ballistx Crucial memory to work so I can get 4 gig. Both "appear" to be 1.8v to my untrained eye, and the same type, what am I missing? Is there something on this board I need to do to get or adjust timings or voltage (I confess I dont really know what they mean - in my mind they should just work).

Thanks in advance.

-JD
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 12:35:42 PM

Using differing DIMMs almost never works, and is a very bad idea. That said, I might be able to help, but it will take some major effort on your part... What you will need to do is download a copy of MemSet:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41.zip

Open 'er up, and put in just the SuperTalents; power up, enter the BIOS, do a "Load Optimized Defaults', save, exit, reboot; run MemSet, and capture & save both the main screen, and the screen that pops up when you click the 'SPD' button; power down...

Open 'er up again, this time removing the SuperTalents, and replace them with the Crucials; once again, power up, enter the BIOS, do a "Load Optimized Defaults', save, exit, reboot; run MemSet, and capture & save both the main screen, and the screen that pops up when you click the 'SPD' button...

Post all four screens (tutorial on posting pictures to the forum here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264718-30-capture-pos...
if you've never done it...), along with your CPU type, and I'll try to give you a set of working BIOS parameters...

January 4, 2010 1:22:22 PM

Will do - Ill do it first thing tonight.
!