Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

C300 128GB, Samsung F3 1TB , Should I be concerned?

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 5, 2011 11:11:44 AM

So, I was sitting here bored and decided to benchmark my C300 128GB SSD and my Samsung F3 1TB and see what numbers I could turn up. The numbers I got were what I expected and not what I expected. Not all were relatively bad or anything, just confused me a bit. I used three different programs to see how similar the results I was getting. I'm not an expert so bare with me.

C300







Samsung F3







I am assuming all where relatively close to what my drives should be getting. I guess I kind of just need to know for sure rather or not I should be concerned with anything or not. I am only asking cause the only program that seemed like it was dead on to what I should've been getting was the ATTO, exception of the Samsung F3, that one seemed a little off, which what confused me cause that was the first program I used.
a c 311 G Storage
April 5, 2011 1:02:21 PM

What version of Windows are you running? Is it Win7?

This is a shot in the dark, but the falloff at 4K suggests to me that the drives are not aligned on the 4K boundary, at least the SSD is not. This is more likely if you are running, or partitioned the drives, with anything earlier than Win7.

Members with more experience, could this be it?

RetiredChief, will AS SSD test for alignment?
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 12:38:02 AM

WyomingKnott said:
What version of Windows are you running? Is it Win7?

This is a shot in the dark, but the falloff at 4K suggests to me that the drives are not aligned on the 4K boundary, at least the SSD is not. This is more likely if you are running, or partitioned the drives, with anything earlier than Win7.

Members with more experience, could this be it?

RetiredChief, will AS SSD test for alignment?


I have windows 7 64-bit installed.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 316 G Storage
April 6, 2011 3:43:19 AM

The benchmark results are consistent with properly aligned drives. In any case, Windows 7 and Vista both align drives on 4K boundaries by default. You can use a partition management utility to view the starting sector of the first partition. If the partition begins at sector 2048, then it is aligned. Otherwise, if it starts at sector 63, then it is not aligned.
m
0
l
a c 311 G Storage
April 6, 2011 11:04:21 AM

I just ran AS SSD on my own Crucial RealSSD C300. I got the same results - a falloff at 4K. And the drive is reported as being aligned.

Now I'm puzzled.

Wait. I ran the ATTO benchmark when the drive was brand-new and I did not see this issue. But I ran it from Win XP. So that suggests either the OS or drive wear; if I have the time and energy I'll go back to XP and run these.

Or is that what crapped up the disk, since XP did not send TRIM?
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 2:12:43 PM

fzabkar said:
The benchmark results are consistent with properly aligned drives. In any case, Windows 7 and Vista both align drives on 4K boundaries by default. You can use a partition management utility to view the starting sector of the first partition. If the partition begins at sector 2048, then it is aligned. Otherwise, if it starts at sector 63, then it is not aligned.


My SSD is aligned.



WyomingKnott said:
I just ran AS SSD on my own Crucial RealSSD C300. I got the same results - a falloff at 4K. And the drive is reported as being aligned.

Now I'm puzzled.

Wait. I ran the ATTO benchmark when the drive was brand-new and I did not see this issue. But I ran it from Win XP. So that suggests either the OS or drive wear; if I have the time and energy I'll go back to XP and run these.

Or is that what crapped up the disk, since XP did not send TRIM?


I didn't run my drive on XP at all, so that would be an error you got yourself if it was the cause of it. Mine is also brand new, I haven't had my system built for twp weeks yet, so all the results are pretty much brand new.
m
0
l
!