Sign in with
Your question

P55 1156 motherboard question

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 7:02:39 AM

Going to order a new computer today or tomorrow. Have decided on a 1156 build with an i7 860 cpu.

I am planning on doing some moderate overclocking and need some advice on choosing a good motherboard, prize is not an issue.

I was thinking of buying this one :

ASUS P7P55D-E PREMIUM S1156 P55 ATX SND+2GLN+1394+U3 SATA3 DDR3 IN (90-MIBBP0-G0EAY00Z)

which is the best asus p55 motherboard i can get from my local provider. However, the questions are :

1) Is it ok to choose an ASUS motherboard, or are other providers more reliable like for instance gigabyte
2) Is the specific card ok for overclocking (will only do moderate overclocking without altering voltage)

If you feel this card is unsuitable, please provide an alternative.

Best regards,

Morten
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 7:10:44 AM

ive had troubles with asus in the past, and i wouldn't recomend them.

personally, i think Gigabyte are the best motherboard manufacterer out there.

the UD4 series boards are brilliant [rice/performance wise. so the GA-P55-UD4 (or UD4p) would be my suggestion. lots of features, with a good price.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 7:48:43 AM

Why not one of the newer gigabyte cards? the UD5 or UD6?

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6, P55, Socket-1156 SLI&CrossFireX, DDR3, ATX, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Firewire, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5, P55, Socket-1156 SLI&CrossFireX, DDR3, ATX, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Firewire, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 8:13:03 AM

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6 is around $250, but its a great motherboard. I suggest you get this one.
January 4, 2010 2:59:47 PM

I love my Asus Maximus III Gene... but I needed something in a red and black color scheme so I felt my options were limited. I paid $185... seemed like a fair price for a high-end board.
January 4, 2010 3:29:07 PM

Well i would choose one of the following boards that are good for overclocking.

1. EVGA P55 Classified 200 Motherboard ( dont think theres a better 1156 board out there) that is if money is no object like you said because it is dam expensive. From benchmarks and reviews ive seen on this board it overclocks better than any other 1156 board out there. Not only that but its black/red colour scheme looks very pleasing. Also 3 way sli is avaible on this board, and also supports 4 way crossfire which i dont think any other 1156 board has. And supports memory speeds of up to 2600+mhz. This board just screams to be overclocked. This board has 5 pci-e 2.0 16x slots which is just insane on a 1156 board. This board will turn heads. Should take a look at this one for sure.
evga video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSkKdVHoh0g

2. Asus Maximus III formula,I have this board and love it, great for overclocking/insane amount of features. Expensive but wont break the bank like my first choice. Again the colour scheme of black/red make it look really nice. I love the ROG connect (if you have a laptop to connect to it) You make pretty any bios adjustment right from a laptop thats connected to the Maximus III formula on the fly with no problems what so ever. Any setting thats in your bios can be adjusted on the fly from ROG connect. Being able to also restore your bios this way is also very helpful in the event something does go wrong.

video review on the asus board.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb61t2_asus-maximus-ii...

3. Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6,One of the better peforming 1156 boards out there/ again very good for overclocking. Also one of very few boards that has USB 3.0, and SATA 6Gb/s connectors.
!