Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Video
  • Storage
  • External Hard Drive
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
April 5, 2011 3:29:59 PM

in the market for an external harddrive for storing video files and video editing

Looking at this 1.5GB Seagate USB 3.0 (which my desktop computer takes) on newegg for $110:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

opinions from the community on whether I shoukd be looking at something better, different, etc - any experiences with this product?

Thank you

More about : buying external harddrive video storage editing

a c 459 G Storage
April 6, 2011 3:24:23 AM

Instead of a pre-packaged external drive, I would buy a regular 3.5" retail drive and install it in an aluminium case with a cooling fan. I'd choose an enclosure with as many interfaces as possible, icluding eSATA, USB, and Firewire. When choosing your drive, I suggest you go for one that supports the ATA streaming command set. This prevents the drive from stuttering on bad sectors, and thereby interfering with your viewing or listening. Such drives are typically specified in video surveillance applications. They are also designed to run 24/7. Choose a 5400 RPM drive in preference to 7200 RPM. The higher speed drives will generate more heat and won't be able to push data through the interface any faster than a 5400 RPM drive.
m
l