Long beep on boot, and no display.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2009 8:47:41 PM

Hey guys. System specs below:

Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU 2.4 ghz
8gb of system ram
ATI Radeon 4870X2 video card
550W PSU

I purchased one of those new heatsinks from Arctic Cooling (The Accelero Xtreme 4870X2) and I installed it fine, then I went to put it into my computer and when I booted it made this long "beeeeeep" noise at initial boot. I'm getting no display, and I do see 3 red LED's come on my video card when I first boot, but then they go away (Pretty sure they always did this). I have exactly the same computer as my brother's (we built them together) except the following is different:

Same type of ram, except I have 8 and he has 4.
Different video cards, he has an Nvidia 8800 and I have an ATI Radeon 4870X2

So, I decided to do a few tests and here were the outcomes:

Putting my video card in his computer: same results (long "beeeep" at boot up)
Putting his video card in my computer: same results (long "beeeep" at boot up)

I then decided to do another test, being picky I decided to keep EVERYTHING screwed in this time (I didn't mention this before but the sheer size of the new heatsink on the 4870X2 forced me to unscrew and pull out the middle panel a bit, it's where the front fan is...I didn't mind the look of it, so I just kept it pushed out a bit so I could fit it in there. I'm using an Antec case (http://tinyurl.com/7ravsy) look at that picture, the top fan on the front, that's what was pushed out a smidget.

So, I decided to put my brother's video card into my computer and actually push in that front panel and screw it in. I did, and oddly enough, my computer booted! No beeps, nothing. So, I thought I had it all figured out. For some reason these screws needed to be placed. So, I removed the plastic ring that was attached to the inside of the front panel so I could fit my video card (no harm done, right?) and I put my 4870X2 video card in. Well, it didn't work. So either that piece of plastic is vitally important to my computer booting or something else is up.

I really could use some advice on this before I pay to take it in somewhere. One thing I want you to know is that, although it is weird that the first time I put my brother's video card into my computer it DIDN'T work when the second time it DID it doesn't discredit the fact that my 4870X2 video card could outright be shot (because it didn't work in mine, or my brother's computer). Is there anyway I can tell what's going on here?

A few possibilities, please comment on them if possible:

*That plastic ring I removed was important for some reason
*With the new heatsink, and the addition of the 3 fans mounted on the heatsink, my PSU can't handle powering the card.
*I somehow discharged some static onto the card, and destroyed it.

Looking forward to your responses.

More about : long beep boot display

July 31, 2009 10:26:23 PM

The same thing happened to me and the problem was my RAM. Try swapping that and see if the problem still exists.
m
l
July 31, 2009 11:00:01 PM

markprice4prez said:
The same thing happened to me and the problem was my RAM. Try swapping that and see if the problem still exists.

Question..do you mean replace it with NEW ram? Or simply removing the RAM and putting it back in?

(I'll be putting my brother's RAM into my computer and trying that, I'll respond later with the results)
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2009 9:52:50 AM

Long Beep means no video card or insufficient power on the video card.

550W may not be sufficient for 4870x2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2009 11:35:05 AM

Sigh. Everybody is half right.

A long beep on boot (if coming from the case speaker) means a serious memory problem. Try your brother's RAM.

A constant beep from the memory card means you do not have enough power for the video card. A 4870X2 under full graphics load needs about 22 amps. If neither of you have adequate power, the 4870X2 will not work in either computer without upgrading the power supply.

A good 550 watt PSU might be able to power the system. What kind of PSU do both of you have?

Which Antec case? I work in Saudi Arabia and they block tinyurl. If the middle drive bay has a black plastic shroud on the back of it, you can remove the shroud. It just snaps in.
m
l
August 1, 2009 6:06:11 PM

jsc said:
Sigh. Everybody is half right.

A long beep on boot (if coming from the case speaker) means a serious memory problem. Try your brother's RAM.

A constant beep from the memory card means you do not have enough power for the video card. A 4870X2 under full graphics load needs about 22 amps. If neither of you have adequate power, the 4870X2 will not work in either computer without upgrading the power supply.

A good 550 watt PSU might be able to power the system. What kind of PSU do both of you have?

Which Antec case? I work in Saudi Arabia and they block tinyurl. If the middle drive bay has a black plastic shroud on the back of it, you can remove the shroud. It just snaps in.

Yeah that's exactly what I did, I unsnapped the plastic shroud inside (it's circular) and I was able to fit the video card inside. I've been able to run the ATI Radeon 4870X2 video card since last fall when I bought it, so this problem only arose when I installed the new heatsink. Here's my PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It appears I was a bit wrong, I'm on a 700W PSU. Also, I did try putting my brother's RAM into my computer and it still did the long "beep" at the beginning. I have an LED light on my motherboard that has hex code it flashes during the initial stages of booting my computer, and it appears the long beep occurs when "2D" comes up (which is code to mean "Video memory test").

Still looking for any possible answers, even though it's appearing more and more that my video card is dead :(  Is there any way of being able to know with 100% certainty that my video card is completely broken?
m
l
August 2, 2009 3:46:43 AM

Is it possible that the plastic ring was there to buffer the space from the mobo and the case? Maybe you are getting a short somewhere. Does your mobo have an intergraded video card? If so, try it out and see what happens.
m
l
August 2, 2009 4:17:51 AM

markprice4prez said:
Is it possible that the plastic ring was there to buffer the space from the mobo and the case? Maybe you are getting a short somewhere. Does your mobo have an intergraded video card? If so, try it out and see what happens.

That seems pretty farfetched but I suppose anything is possible. Unfortunately I can't fit the video card in there with the new heatsink if that plastic ring is still in the computer. I'm not really sure what to do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2009 4:49:29 AM

Its hard to second guess why that supply works on whatever load you have.

There are references and PSU calculators that you can use. If you can't trust the recommended list from ATI or the PSU calculators....the other option is to measure the actual current / voltage for each rail on your supply(@ different conditions).

Its your choice..
m
l
!