Sign in with
Your question

Celeron(willametter 128) or atom 230?

Last response: in CPUs
October 10, 2009 4:28:11 PM

ok one of my friend had decide to build a cheap budget pc as his desktop is unable to even surfing youtube.. her desktop was built in 2004(i build it :)  ) and now she's looking for anything under 200 bucks(i know it's hard...) however i found atom 230 mini itx with 512mb ddr2 400 combo that may suitable for her (she doesn't play game... so she doesn't dnne graphic card or decent processor..) on board graphics is just good enough for web surfing only. but is atom 230 more powerful than celeron 1.8ghz? is it worth?

her spec(built in 2003 or 2004?)
cost: $231.19

celeron 1.8ghz fsb 400mhz
fs50s flex atx(i forgot it!?)
1x 128mb pc66 sdram (96mb after share vram)
sis 660 graphic accelerator
20gb eide 5400rpm ata 66 samsung
200w psu(20 pin..)

windows xp home sp1

today's compound:

atom 230 1.6ghz fsb 533 (mobo + cpu + ram combo price: $79.89)
intel 845gv mini itx OEM
1x 512mb ddr2 400
extreme graphic(128mb share)
80gb eide 5400rpm ata100 hitachi ($19.99)
300w psu 20 pin ($9.99)
Linkworld Electronic Corp. 310-01 mid ATX Tower milk white 4(5.25)1(3.25)5(internal) ($7.99, ebay)

windows media center edition sp3 oem ($89.99)

cost: 209.85(no tax)
October 10, 2009 8:17:55 PM

not worth it. The atom still cannot play most flash media adequately. You're much better off replacing the Celeron with a Pentium 4. I have no idea what bus speeds are supported by that motherboard, but if you can get a 533mhz bus Northwood P4 (such as a 2.66GHz unit) you would essentially solve the problem and it'll only cost about $15 or less if you buy off ebay. Definitely look for a northwood. Even if your motherboard supports it, you don't want a prescott CPU, or another williamette, due to obvious heat/power consumption reasons.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 2:18:46 PM

The atom will be better knowing how weak wilmate core was. You should look at it this way it has a better FPU and a better memory subsystem while being energy efficient while being able to use newer ram thus cheap to upgrade in the future.
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2009 5:27:29 AM

nforce4max said:
The atom will be better knowing how weak wilmate core was. You should look at it this way it has a better FPU and a better memory subsystem while being energy efficient while being able to use newer ram thus cheap to upgrade in the future.

she has limited budget of around 120~200 bucks for the system. though most of SoC itx board all poorly support only ddr2 400/533. but if a non combo system like individeal built will cost more, typical itx combo will cost as low as 70 bucks a cheaper itx combo with cpu + ram will cost only 50 bucks but a cheapest micro atx will cost 45 bucks along and does not come with ram and processor(which the combo will be as high as 140 bucks for a cheap built system) my client does not play video game or decode dvd. so i wonder is it powerful enough to run youtube since her willamette celeron has trouble with loading data and often
crash during loading.

recently i just built it and it seems crappy in performance. but still it is indeed faster than willy celeron at least 35% and 512mb ddr2 400 is faster then pc66...but the point is is it worthy for her???
m
l
October 17, 2009 9:05:41 PM

nonewsgoodnews said:
I know of 2 options:

1 This:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (out of stock but has ion.. so better than what you were going to build, plus has windows)

2 this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... (add cheap hd)

#2 would give you a faster pc but its cheap...

does second one including operating system/ internal hard drive and optical drive? because if you add these together it will be at least 300 bucks along. i dont know if she can afford it.....(or she willing to buy it....)

and the first one seem to be offer better than mine......

joefriday said:
not worth it. The atom still cannot play most flash media adequately. You're much better off replacing the Celeron with a Pentium 4. I have no idea what bus speeds are supported by that motherboard, but if you can get a 533mhz bus Northwood P4 (such as a 2.66GHz unit) you would essentially solve the problem and it'll only cost about $15 or less if you buy off ebay. Definitely look for a northwood. Even if your motherboard supports it, you don't want a prescott CPU, or another williamette, due to obvious heat/power consumption reasons.

sadly the sis board only support 100mhz i/o bus (400mhz qdr fsb). plus i dunno if the board can support a northwood (consider northwood was extremely expansive back to 2003, at the time most of low end board like flex atx, mini itx and some lower micro atx may not support 1.5v and 533mhz qdr fsb.)

i had tried my northwood 1.6ghz on that board(400fsb x 4) and it wont work :( 
m
l
!