tomj528

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'd like to build a HTPC that I can use to record OTA digital tv (2 ATSC tuners) with a hardware encoding capture card. I've been looking at the Hauppauge Wintv-HVR-2250. I have a very basic setup with a 7 year old sony tube tv that has a good picture so I'd like to use it for a few more years until I get a lcd or plasma. I'd like to output the sound directly to a set of Logitech surround sound speakers right out of the onboard sound\sound card. I don't need a blueray dvd although I would get one later after I upgrade the TV. I've been interested in the things that I've read about Linux and MythTV and would like to get compatible hardware in case I want to give it a try at some point. I would also like to stream online videos (youtube and HULU), play MAME, EASports games, play DVDs and store movies and entire TV Series' (from DVD's) for on demand playing.

I welcome your suggestions.

tomj528

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

1. Budget wise I'd like to stay as far under $1000 as possible although I realize that it won't be a lot under $1000.

2. I do plan on storing some DVD's mostly complete seasons of a few shows. I was thinking about 2 - 1GB drives set up in RAID 1 so I have a backup.

3. I'm completely open to the point, although I'd like to strike a nice balance between a quick, smooth machine and cost. I don't have to have the fastest PC possible, just one that does the job really well.

4. My TV has both composite and S-video inputs.

Thanks for your help.

tomj528

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

not moose,

This is the EXACT case that I've been looking at. I'm glad for the thumbs up on it...good to know I'm on the right track!