Seagate Eternal hd

mmike99

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Hi there, iM HAVING TROUBLES WITH MY COMPUTER READING EITHER ONE OF MY EXTERNAL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

stevwolf

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I dont have an answer but I find that the most comon reason why people dont get answers is your have not provided enough info.
Eg are these usb, are they in a case you put together, what errors are you getting. This might help those who have seen this before give an answer.
Regards.

stevwolf

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I dont have an answer but I find that the most comon reason why people dont get answers is your have not provided enough info.
Eg are these usb, are they in a case you put together, what errors are you getting. This might help those who have seen this before give an answer.
Regards.

mmike99

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
hi stev, the externals are seagates from factory, are usb, and the lights in front do come on in the front of them. right now im feeling like its something in my pc, as they worked this past week.

stevwolf

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Regards.

stevwolf

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Regards.

Heard you the first time! :lol:
If you press the Back button after submitting, you can get back into your editing session and see your post as unsubmitted. I'm going to guess that that's why there are four copies of your post. I've found that I have to back...

[Posts and tests, to be followed by edit]

Huh, this time it was three times! The third was probably from the preview to make sure I got the right smiley.

A few questions to narrow it down.

■Does the drive have a separate power connection? Did you connect it?
■Have you tried a different USB cable and USB port on the machine, to rule those out?
■If you attach the hard drive and boot to BIOS, does the BIOS see the drive?
■In Windows, can you see the drive in Disk Management? (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management, then navigate to Disk Management)
■In Windows, if you do see it in Disk Management, is it partitioned?
■In Windows, of you do see it in Disk Management, does it show up in Windows Explorer as empty, or not at all?

This will help us tell if the drive or case is dead, or if the disk got corrupted and requires recovery, or what.

Do not change drive partitions or write to it in any way. If recovery is needed, writing to the drive will make recovery more difficult or impossible.

Let us know what you find

mmike99

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

Hi Wyoming, well the one external drive smoked today(750), so my guess is that is done. no way to extract data, or see the data im guessing right.? just put a magnet to it to delete the data?

Unless you literally mean smoke coming out of it, something like Clonezilla might be able to read some of the data.

Many years ago I worked at Instinet and had business in the machine room. Although I was a software guy, I was the only person who could do hardware work on the Microvax for a few months, and I did communications work too.

One day there was smoke coming out of one of our communications servers. But the comm links were just fine! So the datacenter staff left the burning machine on all day. After 5:00, they powered it down, opened it up, and found that a comms board was designed in two parts, with separate power supplies for both. The power supply on one side had burned up, but they were only using ports on the other side, and the darn thing was still working just fine on that side.

mmike99

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

Hi Wyom, yeah i did mean smoke coming from the area of the plugin....you can smell it. Now I need to find an ac adapter(ps) so I can RMA back to seagate.....be cause I missplacesed the one long ago, and the other, a charter cable rep walked off with it. They gave me another 12 volt to replace it, but it looks nothing like the original, and seagate likely knows there PS cords..?