Hi..

I have

AMD PHENOM II X4 940 BE CPU
GTX 260 SONIC C216 GPU
Gigabyte MA78GM US2H MOBO
1 500GB WD HDD
SAMSUNG DVDRW COMBO
4GB DDR 2 800MHZ RAM CORSAIR
AND CM EXTREME 650 W psu..as it was cheap nd i don't have money for other psu now... :( ..

I want to ask..is this PSU enuff for my GPU & CPU???..will it damage my hardware ?? :(

I don't overlock gpu n all....

If i disable AMD cool n quite then what? will MY PSU can handle it ???

PLSS HELPP...PSU ENUFF N GOOD ???

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
How much did you pay for that PSU anyways?
You can pick up a good quality Corsair power supply for decent prices practically anywhere...
Also, throwing your configuration into the PSU calculator @ http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, your config peaks @ 350-400W, depending on some individual requirements...I threw in a few 120mm case fans and set capacitor aging to 30% for 24 hour use, the worst case scenario with your setup.

Personally, I think 650W is a bit overkill. You should be set.
I would still recommend a Corsair power supply, probably a VX550, for your setup. They're more reliable than any cheap brands (is it a Cooler Master? Not cheaply made I would think but I'm not entirely sure if that's the case with your PSU).

zod911

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Corsair is expensive here...n cheaper version was not available vx450w n all...Now i have already bought 650W CM ..So its a mistake ? :( ...Oh god....So it will kill my gpu ?..i have 2 120 MM fans in my cabby.....You mean it can't run GTX 260 N AMD phenom properly ??..How much power gpu needs ???

YES CM EXTREME 650W original brand with warranty

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Whooooa, haha. Calm down.
You have PLENTY of Wattage to power your system. A GTX 260 has a fairly low power consumption and the Phenom II X4 940 also draws less power than it's AM3 955 brother...So you're good with the amount of power you have.

I was merely commenting on the fact that cheap NO NAME power supplies can be unstable.
Are you having any problems with your system randomly freezing or crashing? Do your games stall and/or freeze and crash without warning?
If not, your power supply is working just fine.

Didn't intend to scare you or anything :p

EDIT: I said OVERKILL in my previous post...Meaning you have lots more power than is actually required. Nothing to worry about. Your rig probably doesn't draw more than 500W anyways.

if its Cooler Master (thats what it looks like it) you should be fine, not the best, but mediocre

as for the GPU and CPU, it's fine you just can't add another GTX260 for sli since that board is a crossfire board

zod911

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
No crashes n freezing yet..its just 3 weeks old....i saw article on forum..where few ppl saying...that iam having problem with 650w psu n all..That's why, i was bit worried...Can it create any problems in future.....??? I have no plans of overlocking my gpu...as its already a overlocked version to 630mhz......I will upgrade my pc now in 2012 or 13......

Whats this 12v and all ?? and 650w has 70-80% of efficiency.......? how much needed for GTX 260 ??

This is my PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171014

Does it make lot of noise??..Right now its quite...tho.....

zod911

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hello plss reply....i have posted psu model name and details above..Is it enuff for GTX 260 N AMD PHENOM II

I checked bios pc health...12v shows 11.75v at idle....It stays between 11.7 -12.7.....normally......Is it good....???

CPU temp 42-45 degree normal......max 65-68 or 70....playing High end games....
GPU 49 degree normally....max 68-70 when playig Crysis....
Room temperature 25-28 degree......I have a AC in my room.So it can go below 20 also :D

Even Corsair vx 620w show same 12 v - 11.75.....i read on other forums. how much power card needs.?.. :eek:

Sorry,if i sound lil irritating....iam a n00b in this department..So thats why iam asking you guys...plss help....

jonsy2k

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
In terms of wattage and amps, this psu can handle your system with no problems. As stated in a lot of Newegg customer reviews, people seem to have problems with this psu failing quite soon after purchase. CM is definitely not the best psu manufacturer, but I don't think your in any danger of it frying your system either.

I think if you bought this psu recently, you might as well hang onto it, unless you can return it and maybe purchase a higher quality one, as listed on the website provided by geofelt.

zod911

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
So this psu is fine ?? i don't have money to buy Corsair one..Which are really good...

This psu has 3 years warranty...So shud i use it ? is it safe..If i don't overlock and all.??Plss tell?

..One more thing I may disable AMD Cool n Quiet 3.0 latest...in fututre to get lil extra.....??..I read Phenom II C N Q 3.0 is really good...User should not disable it.??

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
CnQ is good to lower power consumption, as it slows down the processor when it's not being fully utilized. Most people who overclock, and are trying to squeeze every ounce of performance, disable CnQ. For your setup though, I would just leave it on. It doesn't really matter either way I think.
(Btw, I'm not exact on the details of how CnQ works. But you get the gist of it.)

Your warranty is there to protect your unit from damage or malfunction...Since you're power supply is working fine, continue to use it. Always have your warranty info on hand in case something does go wrong but since you'll already said that you haven't been having any problems with it, get gaming and have fun with your system already! :p

TRENDING THREADS