Ok what drive is the best for the $.

On newegg I can get the dive's at:

1) Vertex 3 $299

2) Vertex 2 $199

3) RevoDrive $ 289

I don't have an SSD right now so I am going HDD to SSD. Thank you
a c 290 G Storage
April 5, 2011 6:35:45 PM

1. Do you have a SATA II (3 Gb/s) motherboard or a SATA III (6 Gb/s) motherboard?

2. Do you have a PCI-e x16, x8, or x4 slot available on your motherboard for a PCI-e based ssd such as the OCZ RevoDrives?

3. What will you be doing with your computer?
m
l
April 5, 2011 6:50:37 PM

1) I have a I7 920 and the MB should have SATA 3, but I am not 100& sure.

2) Yes I do.

3) Gaming
m
l
Related resources
a c 290 G Storage
April 5, 2011 7:46:40 PM

When it comes to playing games online a solid state drive will not improve anything. You are totally at the mercy of the Internet Service Provider, web hosts, and all the Internet connection points around the world. A solid state drive will not improve anything you do on the world wide web.

A game installed in a solid state drive will start up faster. If while playing a game you need to consult a map or chart, they should load faster. That's about it. SSD's do not improve fps or graphic details. SSD's will not guarantee smooth, error free, stutter free, crash free game play.

If you have a SATA III (6 Gb/s) connection, then just go with a SATA III (6 Gb/s) solid state drive. If I could only choose from your list, then it would be the OCZ Vertex 3. If I were interested in best value for the money, then the Crucial C300 SATA III (6 Gb/s) ssd would be worth considering. You can usually find the 120 GB model on sale for $199.99. Sometimes the price goes down to $179.99.

If by chance your motherboard does not have a SATA III (6 Gb/s) connection, then the choice would be the OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II (3 Gb/s) ssd you listed. There are a few other possibilities but I don't think it would matter for gaming.
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:20:50 PM

I Know game's don't use an SSD that well, but the OS will. I can't find the c300 for less than $250. It's write speed's seem to be a bit low for a SSD.

I can wait for the end of year to get one.
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:31:23 PM

4ktv said:
I Know game's don't use an SSD that well, but the OS will. I can't find the c300 for less than $250. It's write speed's seem to be a bit low for a SSD.

I can wait for the end of year to get one.

One of today's daily deals (see Tom's Hardware main page) is the 128GB c300 for $199. The rated write speed for that drive in SATA II is 140kb/s. It isn't the highest-rated drive out there, but the benchmarks demonstrate that the c300 is a hell of a drive nevertheless.
m
l
a c 290 G Storage
April 6, 2011 2:23:21 AM

From Anand over at AnandTech:

"for those of you who are wondering, there are big differences between the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 240, more in 24 hours!"

He got an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ssd. He wanted to compare it to the OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB demo model OCZ sent out for all those preliminary reviews two months ago. In addition he "might" have some additional information about the flash memory OCZ is using - maybe.
m
l
April 27, 2011 11:26:59 PM

Quote:
When it comes to playing games online a solid state drive will not improve anything. You are totally at the mercy of the Internet Service Provider, web hosts, and all the Internet connection points around the world. A solid state drive will not improve anything you do on the world wide web.

A game installed in a solid state drive will start up faster. If while playing a game you need to consult a map or chart, they should load faster. That's about it. SSD's do not improve fps or graphic details. SSD's will not guarantee smooth, error free, stutter free, crash free game play.

If you have a SATA III (6 Gb/s) connection, then just go with a SATA III (6 Gb/s) solid state drive. If I could only choose from your list, then it would be the OCZ Vertex 3. If I were interested in best value for the money, then the Crucial C300 SATA III (6 Gb/s) ssd would be worth considering. You can usually find the 120 GB model on sale for $199.99. Sometimes the price goes down to $179.99.

If by chance your motherboard does not have a SATA III (6 Gb/s) connection, then the choice would be the OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II (3 Gb/s) ssd you listed. There are a few other possibilities but I don't think it would matter for gaming.

The internet connection only tells a computer "What" to load, the disk drive then accesses the file and loads it, therefore a drive with fast reads will cause a game to load faster from instance instance or zone to zone, as well as prevent a game from being jumpy. Your HDD/SSD, CPU, and GPU can bottleneck your performance in different ways and an SSD wont really help for FPS, but it will prevent those jumps and spikes you tend to see when a lot of information is being accessed at once.

If you have a PCIe X4 slot open, it would be fastest if you dont have SATA 3.0, which isn't included on every i7 motherboard.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 28, 2011 12:00:44 AM

That is very true. A couple of the other beta-testers over at OCZ play games online and when moving to the Vertex 3 also noticed the extra ability to reach preferred vehicles(COD, I think?) more quickly. Same thing was posted by many who initially moved to the Revo drives when they first showed up.

everything in the PC's chain of command is subject to the next weakest link.
m
l
!