UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME - Multiple Partitions

Tangot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hi,

My laptop just had an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME BSoD, and I've taken some steps to fix it, made a slight bit of progress, and because of the unusualness of the situation (which I only say because Googling didn't bring up any specific scenarios), I'd like to post where I'm at to get information on what I should do.

At first, I just got the error after the Windows Logo Loading Screen.

I then did chkdsk /r a couple of times via Recovery Console (freezing at 53%), and rebooted and after the loading screen, would show a black screen with my cursor on it.

Back in Recovery console, now it asks me to select a windows installation (before it would go into C:\). My HD is partitioned, D:\ has the windows files, and it recognizes that and gives me the option to log into D:\WINDOWS.

When I go to use fixboot, it says:

The target partition is C:.
Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?

This is where I get confused - if windows is on D:, why is it offering C:?

Should I do fixboot on C: or do something else?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Try FIXMBR first then FIXBoot after that and accept the warning both times. It's extremely unlikely an OEM would have put Windows on D: - what you may be look at are Windows files on their Recovery Partition D:\.

Tangot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hi,

Thank you for the welcome, and quick response.

OEM was not partitioned, had some help about a year ago when my PC was overheating - they knew how to fix it from a hardware perspective, but weren't that good software-wise, and reformatted it and partitioned it awkwardly as such. I recall from when it worked, that the windows files indeed are in D: (as recovery console recognizes), though is it possible that the boot files may be on the other partition?