Did gfx overclocking destroy my display?

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
A few days ago, i was overclocking my graphics card, a 9800gtx. Weirdly, furmark and vantage were fine at 819 core, 2048 shader, and 1250 mem. When i tried farcry 2, it crashed and i got a blue screen. So...i put them down to 800,2000,1200, and then i noticed the monitor would flicker sometimes, the whole screen would go black, and then it would go back to normal, just for a split second. Gradually, the flickering increased in frequency, finally until the screen remained black. I tried another monitor in the same port with the same cable, and it was fine, and i tried the broken one in another computer, using d-sub rather than dvi...the same problem happened. So what i'm wondering is it possible for a graphics card with bad clocks to destroy a monitor?

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
If you are under the impression you overclocked your video card too high and it broke your monitor
you are absolutely wrong

more likely IMO your video card got damaged with our overclock
happened to me with my 8400GS
I got so pissed at how much HP ripped me off with a crap video card ( when I was 13 duh 15 now )
I clocked that thing from 300mhz to 1000mhz
not smart

I got the flickers too for about 1 year, and then my card overheated, not overclocked but from the crappy HP airflow

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Did you try to reset the monitor? There should be a reset button on your monitor. Look in the screen menu.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yes i reset the monitor, and it was in a system that i myself built, and temps are reasonable and so is airflow. I'm using the monitor now and it seems to be fine, it seems maybe the frequency of such occurances might be decreasing. Is it possible that it was just a temporary problem? The card is fine, everything works on another monitor i tried. For some reason, despite vantage and furmark being stable at 819,2048,1250, farcry 2 made me bring the clocks all the way down to 764, 1910, 1170 T_T (and there was no signs of artifacting or instability in furmark and vantage at the high clocks....)

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Well if it's stable ar stock speeds then it's a good thing. There are no guarantees when you overclock however you can RMA the videocard if it doesn't work at the advertised sped. The 9800GTX series is already overclocked and not known to have much room if any at all for further overclocking. My GTS 250 barely overclocks percentage-wise compared to my stock GTX 260.

It might been a temporary problem, interference or your card was seated but not seated tight enough and intermittently struggling to maintain a connection like a lightbulg barely screwed in and the slightest vibration causes a flicker.