thorox

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Hey, I have had my pc up for about 2 months now and my psu for the past week or two has been awfuly loud, I was wondering if I should just RMA it, or just replace with one of the 120mm fans I have laying around. I'm a tad-bit worried about working inside a PSU because I was told, and have read they can be potentially harmful.

Its bad when a psu fan is louder than yate loon high speed case fans are at 100% ...
maybe it could be something mechanical, I don't know much about PSU's

here's my PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032&Tpk=coolermaster%20700w%20ucp

BTW does anyone know what size Allen wrench I'd need for changing the fan?
17-171-032-07.jpg

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

I usually limit my PSU choices to either the ANtec Signatiure or Corsair HX series, so can't speak from experience. Coupla questions:

Is this thing cranking from the get go or only after a while ?

Does this PSU have the old style 3 pin plug that you stick on the MoBo that tells the system how fast it's spinning ?

Have you tried disconnecting everything, taking just the 24 pin connector, shorting the green pin to the neighboring black pin and seeing if it still screams ?

thorox

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Yea it starts up soon as I press case power button.

Don't believe it has the three pin plug you speak of.

Nope, wouldn't that be dangerous? If not, how would I go about doing this, a small piece of wire?

I might just head-up to Walmart and grab some 3-in-1 oil and some Allen wrenches, then open up the PSU. put a lilttle oil on the fan and see how that works.
or just replace it with a spare 45CFM 120mm fan I have lying around.

One more thing, How long should I let the PSU "cool down" or discharge w/e you wish to call it, so ill be safe from electrical shock?