Sign in with
Your question

New system using q6600

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2009 8:24:17 PM

Hi,

Im planning on building a new PC it will be used for gaming at moderate settings [nothing high spec needed]. I'm including a Q6600 Quad Core which I have already.

1. I also own 4GB Corsair Dominator RAM which should be okay to run, right?

2. I was thinking about buying a 9800 gtx (Overclocked out of the box)...because of its reasonably low price. Any other graphics cards you suggest for similar price?

3. Also what motherboard would be needed for this setup? I may want to OC the Q6600 in the future so any decent overclocking on the board would be a great feature aswel.

4. Havent decided on the case, wasnt sure whether I could continue using my old CoolerMaster Centurion 590? The PSU fan is pretty weak at 400w so I would probably need more...correct?

I havent decided on a budget at all yet...but at the moment I dont want to be spending any more than £120 on the motherboard, £200-250 for the graphics card, £100 for the fan (thinking 500w should be ok?).

Will update on budget etc soon.

Thank You.

More about : system q6600

July 10, 2009 8:41:02 PM

No new information just realised I was supposed to use a list template...sorry.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next couple of months most likely BUDGET RANGE: Currently Undecided

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Well I specifically want to run Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Released Nov this year, recommended specs unknown!)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard (Saitek Eclipse III, Mouse (Logitech G5), Monitor (Samsung 20inch), Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad, 4gb Corsair Dominator Ram, CoolerMaster Centurion 590

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ebuyer.com, scan.co.uk...anything reliable and uk based.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No specific preferences at the moment.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (CPU) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 or 1680x1050.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Current budget limits - G.Card = £200-250 MAX, Motherboard = £120 MAX, PSU = £100 MAX

Thank you
July 10, 2009 10:51:42 PM

why bother with a q6600 . Its 65 nm , 2 year old tech thats spanked by todays 45 nm intel quads and worst of all you are uying into a platform that intel is dropping .

There are better faster choices available for less
Related resources
July 10, 2009 11:22:49 PM

are the components in a rig already? if so, just buy something like a 4850 (if you have a decent PSU) and OC the Q6600 to at least 3.OGHz... it is not worth really building a new rig anymore without an i7 and hoping it will last a while. I have an E6600 @ 3.6Ghz + 4850HD... and i can run anything on all max out settings with all the eyecandy on 1440*900 (GTA4 runs at 30 FPS :D , L4D 50+FPS )

... i already have cash to upgrade, i am just waiting for dx11, USB3.0, i5, intel larrabee, cheaper SSD's... that is all going to make the prices drop like crazy, similar wheren the HD48XX were released
July 11, 2009 12:40:01 AM

Outlander_04 said:
why bother with a q6600 . Its 65 nm , 2 year old tech thats spanked by todays 45 nm intel quads and worst of all you are uying into a platform that intel is dropping .

There are better faster choices available for less

Yeah I know I will upgrade my CPU later this year or early next year. Only using the q6600 because I have it already (Out of my 2 yr old system).
July 11, 2009 12:47:52 AM

xc0mmiex said:
are the components in a rig already? if so, just buy something like a 4850 (if you have a decent PSU) and OC the Q6600 to at least 3.OGHz... it is not worth really building a new rig anymore without an i7 and hoping it will last a while. I have an E6600 @ 3.6Ghz + 4850HD... and i can run anything on all max out settings with all the eyecandy on 1440*900 (GTA4 runs at 30 FPS :D , L4D 50+FPS )

... i already have cash to upgrade, i am just waiting for dx11, USB3.0, i5, intel larrabee, cheaper SSD's... that is all going to make the prices drop like crazy, similar wheren the HD48XX were released

No, the components arent...basically Im ripping apart 2 of my old PCs and constructing a new one.
I have 500gb HDD, 4GB Ram, the q6600 and the mid tower case. I need a new motherboard, graphics card, and a PSU.

I LOVE the idea of the 4850...will deffinetely keep that in mind. What MotherBoard and PSU do you recommend? I'm using a coolermaster centurion 590 case BTW.

Centurion 590 - http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=de...

Its in pretty bad shape and only has two small working fans...would you suggest I add more? Water cooling? Or a new case altogether?

Thank you in advance. Appreciate the help.
July 11, 2009 1:03:51 AM

Oh, and just to add...this system is only to get me through til next year really.

Thats why im keeping my q6600 etc, I will replace pretty much all of it next year! (Thats why im sticking to a low budget)

BUT - If I can get a decent PSU that could be reused next year that would be a bonus.

July 11, 2009 2:28:20 AM

Current budget limits - G.Card = £200-250 MAX, Motherboard = £120 MAX, PSU = £100 MAX

(i know this stuff is on newegg and not a uk site but just type in the name of the product and you should get the same one wherever you shop)

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
good overclocker, 2 pci-e slots (CROSSFIRE ONLY)

PSU: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/101922.aspx stick to tier 1&2 and go with something that is around 700W if you want to crossfire 4850's

GPU: 4850's cost around $100 so you can actually get 2 of em(buy 1 if your playing on 1440*900 or equivalent).... but if you can wait, you 5870 and 5850 will come out soon and maby you would like to pick one of those up instead

you should be good for a while with this setup (you would may half to switch to medium setting after 2 years and cut on eye candy in 1)

BUY A GOOD aftermarket CPU cooler.... you will HAVE TO OVERCLOCK to not get bottled with the 4850's

its going to be the end of the road for this system after all this... if you build a new one you should only keep the PSU
July 11, 2009 3:17:02 AM

Wow, thanks!

That mobo looks great, found one from uk supplier so i'll deff be getting that.

The list of PSU's is also fantastic will be using that list from now on! :)  Thanks

I wont wait for the 5800 series cards you mentioned for this setup maybe my next one though.

I have looked into the 4850's I can get dual 512mb's or a 1gb card for basically the same price. When you said buy 2 do you mean the 512's? I sort of guessed that rather than dual 1gbs?!

Also just wanted your opinion on something else...I have found the 4870 and 4890 are also in my budget. (Just!) What are you opinions? Worth it? Havent seen many reviews or benchmark stats on either of these cards only the 4850.

Appreciate the help so far.
July 11, 2009 3:51:41 AM

XFX 750i is a great motherboard, sli capable and great customer service. I don't know any site for europe but here is a newegg link (assuming $1/$1 us/eu).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

The ram is fine, but a factory overclocked 9800 wouldn't be worth it when you can get a GTX 260 for the same price and oc it further yourself. Again, going XFX for the customer service.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Since you will be ocing your q6600 I would go for a Prolimatech Megahalem, second class to the true by a few c and compatible with LGA 775. I can't provide the link here, sorry.

The case you have is great, just add a couple fans and do some modifications for cable management. You're on your own for the psu. But if you aren't going to do crossfire or sli, but will be overclocking for with a Corsair 650TX/HX.
July 11, 2009 5:07:33 AM

lol they are all great cards and are cheaper then their nvidia competitors, 2*4850 would beat out each of them, its really hard to recommend one more then another, they are all really good. check some of the charts, check what kind of games you play and get the one that best fits you and your want for frames. Don't buy anything that is OC'd for you, software that comes with ATI will do it for you with a touch of a button.

as far as the 512 vs 1 gig.... if its withing 10$ or like 7 euros, go for the 1gig, it never hurts for such a tiny price.... remember for crossfire(i think Sli too) 2 512mb cards DO NOT add up to 1 gig, same info is kept on both the cards VRAM, and i know some rare games that especially sandbox based (GTA4, Prototype) require more then 512 to max out.
July 11, 2009 7:29:31 PM

xc0mmiex said:
lol they are all great cards and are cheaper then their nvidia competitors, 2*4850 would beat out each of them, its really hard to recommend one more then another, they are all really good. check some of the charts, check what kind of games you play and get the one that best fits you and your want for frames. Don't buy anything that is OC'd for you, software that comes with ATI will do it for you with a touch of a button.

as far as the 512 vs 1 gig.... if its withing 10$ or like 7 euros, go for the 1gig, it never hurts for such a tiny price.... remember for crossfire(i think Sli too) 2 512mb cards DO NOT add up to 1 gig, same info is kept on both the cards VRAM, and i know some rare games that especially sandbox based (GTA4, Prototype) require more then 512 to max out.

Ok thanks. I've researched those cards (4850/70/90) and the 4590 is ahead of the other two cards by quite a big margin on most games. So I like the look of that card, just depends on how much i'll be spending on other parts.

Specs so far:
Q6600
4GB Corsair Dominator (2X2GB)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P iP45 ATX
Graphics Card (One of the following: 4850/4870/4890)
Corsair HX PSU (750w)
Coolermaster Centurion 590 (Maybe damaged...will check tomorrow!)

So...what fans are needed? Definitely a fan for the CPU right? Probably some extra fans for the case aswell. That should be it though right?

Im just really looking into effecient cooling now...if my current case is in bad shape. I dont mind buying a new one as long as it could be used in the future.

July 12, 2009 3:13:53 AM

Just gone through some boxes and I found my Asus Xonar D2X PCI Soundcard...this should run with that mobo right?

Also found a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU fan. I used it on my q6600 when i OC'd to 2.8ghz dont think I went any higher than that...but it did keep the CPU reasonably cool so may be worth reusing.

My case is a little damaged one of the fan grills is bent up and i managed to crack the plastic on the front (Dont remember how). So if I have any left over cash i'll buy a HAF 922 off my mate. [He bought the 922 and then realised it was too small for his new liquid cooling setup so upgraded to the HAF 932. The 922 has therefore never been used! :)  ]

Thank you
!