Moving hard drive between laptops? Thinkpad 600e

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 2:53:57 PM

I have a Thinkpad 600e which seems to be dead. Its CMOS battery went
dead and I replaced it, and now whenever I boot I get the Thinkpad
logo then it says "19153" under the RAM and the screen goes blank. I
can't even get into BIOS setup or anything. Everything I'm finding
indicates my motherboard is dead.

Of course, this machine was not backed up. Its not the end of the
world, but I'd like to be able to get stuff off it. I was looking
through ebay and there are lots of cheap 600e's out there. Will I have
any problems just pulling the hard drive from my current one and
putting it into a new one? I've done this a lot with desktop computers
but not with laptops. I even found one that was basically empty - no
RAM, no HD, no CD etc. In that case shouldn't I just be able to pull
all the parts from mine, swap them in and go? Any special gotchas I
should be aware of?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 3:38:46 PM

Hey Rocker wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad 600e which seems to be dead. Its CMOS battery went
> dead and I replaced it, and now whenever I boot I get the Thinkpad
> logo then it says "19153" under the RAM and the screen goes blank. I
> can't even get into BIOS setup or anything. Everything I'm finding
> indicates my motherboard is dead.
>
> Of course, this machine was not backed up. Its not the end of the
> world, but I'd like to be able to get stuff off it. I was looking
> through ebay and there are lots of cheap 600e's out there. Will I have
> any problems just pulling the hard drive from my current one and
> putting it into a new one? I've done this a lot with desktop computers
> but not with laptops. I even found one that was basically empty - no
> RAM, no HD, no CD etc. In that case shouldn't I just be able to pull
> all the parts from mine, swap them in and go? Any special gotchas I
> should be aware of?

Assuming the hard drive is OK, it will just plug right in and work, as will
your other removable components. I do this all the time.

-Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 3:45:10 PM

"Hey Rocker" <heyrocker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Thinkpad 600e which seems to be dead. Its CMOS battery went
> dead and I replaced it, and now whenever I boot I get the Thinkpad
> logo then it says "19153" under the RAM and the screen goes blank. I
> can't even get into BIOS setup or anything. Everything I'm finding
> indicates my motherboard is dead.
>
> Of course, this machine was not backed up. Its not the end of the
> world, but I'd like to be able to get stuff off it. I was looking
> through ebay and there are lots of cheap 600e's out there. Will I have
> any problems just pulling the hard drive from my current one and
> putting it into a new one? I've done this a lot with desktop computers
> but not with laptops. I even found one that was basically empty - no
> RAM, no HD, no CD etc. In that case shouldn't I just be able to pull
> all the parts from mine, swap them in and go? Any special gotchas I
> should be aware of?
>
> Thanks

That worked fine for me with a 560x I picked up a year ago off ebay. My MB
had also apparently died and when the new 560x arrived I just swapped out
the existing hard drive and put in my own. The 560x I bought was even a
different model # with a 200 MHz processor instead of a 233 like my old one
had. If you only care about the hard drive contents and have a desktop PC
then you could get a cheap adapter to allow the laptop HD to be connected to
the desktop. But if you want to end up with a working laptop again, then as
long as your HD is OK, your idea should work. Now I wonder if there's a way
to remove the 233 MHz processor from my dead MB and install it easily into
the working 560x instead of the 200 MHz one that's there now. Hmmmm.
!