Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sudden Shutdown

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2010 2:51:54 PM

My friend's PC has this config:
Intel Pentium D 3Ghz, Intel D945GCNL, Transcend 1GB DDR2 667 and a Local Tier 3 PSU.

The computer, off late has been shutting down randomly. When this happens, CPU fan stops, display blanks but num lock works, power LED is lit and no beeps. And most of the time I cant get to BIOS. I have unplugged all other devices (data and pwr), things running and connected are the PSU, MOBO, CPU.

Things I tried:

1. Overheating: Replaced thermal Compound and started. Issue persists. Temp seems to have reduced last time I made it to the BIOS. Also I removed the HSF and tried it, the board sounded a siren. When the HSF was the there with the TC no sirens.

2. PSU: Cannot replace for some time now. I unplugged all pwr cables except the 24 Pin and the 4 Pin.
Read the voltages with a multimeter and the voltages are within limit(+- .5v).
I shorted the PWR GOOD with GND and started the PSU w/o the mobo and it runs fine, no shutdowns and all proper voltages.

3. Unplugged RAM and tried: Same issue, goes to the boogie state. Sometimes it beeps the error code and then goes there.

4. I guess the CPU did not fail, it did its job and got detected every time I got into the BIOS.

5. Reset the jumpers, no use.

Did the motherboard fail, or is there any method to confirm mobo failure before I buy a new one? Also could the cabinet switch and any other front panel connectors cause this kinda errors? Any other component failure possibilities?

More about : sudden shutdown

a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 3:27:53 PM

You might want to measure power under load.
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:39:38 PM

roonj said:
You might want to measure power under load.

Thought of it, but had no idea on how to do it. whats the procedure???
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2010 1:20:27 AM

Also how much amps shd I be expecting from the 12V rail and others? My multimeter has max current limit of 10A.
m
l
January 5, 2010 4:15:57 AM

Might wanna try monitoring your CPU temperature, and see at about what temperature it starts shutting down. If CPU reaches something like 90 or 100 degress celsius, that would be a problem.

Hope I helped
m
l
January 5, 2010 9:38:15 AM

The CPU was hitting sixties... I reapplied TC and then the temps dropped without any change to the current problem....

Also when the CPU overheats the Mobo wails a siren sound, but during the sudden shutdown there are no pointers....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 12:23:26 PM

I was suggesting running a load with like prime95 and measuring voltage at the 24pin and later the 4/8 pin connectors for voltage drop. Doubt you would have neccessary equipment to measure current.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 12:43:45 PM

My guess would be a faulty power supply is causing the shut down issues...either that or the mobo or psu is shorting out...
January 8, 2010 1:45:56 PM

Yup, it was the PSU. It died out all of a sudden.
m
l
!