3D viewing, the return? Have you tried it yet?

iamcims

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Well 3D is making a comeback as most of us are aware of. However, we have more to look forward to in this day of age than just seeing movies in 3D at the theater. Gaming in 3D seems like the next new thing. They are selling special 3d LCD monitors, and glasses now. Nvidia makes some pricey glasses and a combo package with a new Samsung monitor.

The thing I don't get is how they act like we need to go out and replace our nice LCD 5ms monitors with some new one. I am not buying it. $150 for special 3D glasses? Ouch. To pricey for me. I understand it is still new. I will be waiting to see if it fails or not, if not, prices will go down.

Now, for those with Nvidia GPU's, you may have noticed that they are bundling "3D vision" software with their latest drivers. I enabled it and loaded some of my games and they as to my amazement were in 3D! World of Warcraft, TF2, DOD, WC3, all loaded in 3D. This is pretty cool stuff, your normal 2D software is now transformed to 3D. How does it look? I can't say since I don't own any glasses.

I really want to get my hands on some 3D glasses to see how it looks and if it's playable. I am guessing it would look fine with some basic blue/red glasses, which I don't have. I know nvidia's glasses plug in and use new technology. Now I just have a hard time buying into the fact that we would need to replace our monitors. Why if it seems to run 3d fine? What does the $150 nvidia glasses offer over cheap ones like http://cgi.ebay.com/Wired-3D-Glasses-LCS-LCD-Shutter-Interlaced-VR-3-D-NEW_W0QQitemZ120341244236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c04e5a94c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ?

I am thinking about buying some glasses on ebay. What do you recommend? Will wired ones work like the link I posted above?

If anyone can tell me my best option here, i'de appreciate it.

Thank you.

at ten dollars, its going to look like ass

actually a friend of mine has the glasses and a 120Hz monitor, its pretty cool, he let me use them for like an hour (remember, the hertz get divided between frames so you go from 120->60 which means 60fps max, on a standard 60Hz you would get 30fps max)