Sign in with
Your question

5 1 speakers on HDMI pc connection

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2010 4:04:24 PM

I have an ECS a780gm-a mother Board that supports 5.1 audio
But im using HDMI connection from my Radeon HD 4670 Video card.

Would the audio from the motherboard still work if i hook up speakers to it? since the audio is coming from the video card i was wondering if this might cause problems.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2010 5:47:57 AM

You'll have to enable the onboard audio of your motherboard at least, through the BIOS. Who made the audio source your video card?
m
l
January 5, 2010 7:41:28 AM

Yes, the Video card is supplying the HDMI connection with Audio.

I'll go and test it out, will post back on the result.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2010 2:33:58 PM

The audio goes to the selected PLAYBACK HARDWARE on the sound option at the control panel. If you select ATI-HDMI audio, the sound goes to the 4670/HDMI. If you select the on-board audio to sound will come out from teh 4670.

Specific Example:

I have CF 4890 and Sound Blaster XFI Fatality Audio card. If i want my audio to go the my TV through the HDMI port i select the ATI-HDMI as the playback hardware. This is done on the sound option of the control panel.

If i want the sound to go to my receiver i select SPEAKERs on the SOUND OPTION at the control panel.

To summarize, both audio hardware (on board and 4650) will work. The audio/sound will go to the one that you select at the SOUND OPTION of the control panel.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2010 2:35:48 PM

Correction:

The audio goes to the selected PLAYBACK HARDWARE on the sound option at the control panel. If you select ATI-HDMI audio, the sound goes to the 4670/HDMI. If you select the on-board audio (i.e. SPEAKERS)to sound will come out from the motherboard audio(not 4650).
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:32:08 PM

@len2006

Thanks so much, I tinkered around with the settings on the software that came with my motherbard and i was able to configure it to play sounds from the motherboard.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks
m
l
!