Can I Sli Gtx 280 ftw edition and gtx 280 superclocked

Creebs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hello everyone.. I am planning to get myself a second gtx 280 to improve fps in games.. I already own one which is the ftw edition 670 core clock.... I would like to get the superclocked edition which is 621 core clock which is at a very decent price... How will it work if they are at two different core clocks... Will they meet at an average core clock or will they both be reset to stock?..

Please let me know..

Thank you kindly

PS* Money is not an issue.... but will a second gtx 280 improve fps even on a 22" monitor.. I'm thinking for PhysX processing aswell as to take away some of the AA lag..

Please respond to both questions if possible.. the first of course is more important to me..

Thanks again
Josh

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Yes, but the FTW will downclock to match the 621. They run at the lowest number for all the specs. Its still faster than stock.

What resolution is the monitor? 1650x1050 I'm guessing. You shouldn't be having any trouble at those res unless you're using the 3d glasses. So I doubt you'd see any real increase by adding a second.

Since money is an issue for me, I wouldn't even consider adding a second 280 at 1650x1050 even in a drunken buying binge. But if you set up to a bigger monitor, then it might be worth adding a second card, since money isn't an issue.

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Yes you can do it.... better frames, questionable... if you are getting 70 frames now dont expect 120.... please don't get another card if you don't drop below 60 frames, send it to me if it pleases you to spend money

Creebs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks... after all the advice I've decided to drop the idea of getting a second card.. I'll likely just upgrade to a gtx 295 when price drops or wait for next gen cards.. Since I'll likely never upgrade much higher than this 22" at 1680 X 1050.. Thanks again guys