Sign in with
Your question

How much different is i7-920 to i7-950 comparison

Last response: in CPUs
October 10, 2009 8:37:56 PM

how much different is the i7-920 as compared to the i7-950? Thanks.

More about : 920 950 comparison

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 4:05:43 AM

I use this to compare CPUs a lot, since you can put them head to head:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=100&p2=47

Here, with the specs listed side by side, there is no difference except stock speed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

So if you don't OC, then it might be worth the money to you for the extra speed. But if you're going to OC, the 920 will hit near the same speed as the 950 making the extra spent not so valuable anymore.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 2:50:23 PM

Socket 1366 is gonna have i9 future upgrades, 1156 wont.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 3:52:25 PM

skora said:
So if you don't OC, then it might be worth the money to you for the extra speed. But if you're going to OC, the 920 will hit near the same speed as the 950 making the extra spent not so valuable anymore.

If you're overclocking both the 920 and the 950 D0 stepping will hit about the same 4GHz mark on air (maybe a bit more if you get a CPU from a good batch) but you can overclock the 920 to match the 950's 3.06GHz on the stock cooler without problems.

I guess that means the question is this: do you want to try a mild overclock? If yes, go 920 without a doubt and save a lot of cash. If no, stick with the 950.

a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 5:26:53 AM

daship said:
Socket 1366 is gonna have i9 future upgrades, 1156 wont.

1366 is a waste to most people as they are not rich enough to buy the extreme edition(i9) and the difference between 1156(dual channel, PCIE x16 or x8/x8) and 1366(tri channel, PCIE x16/x16) is minimal at the current stage.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 5:35:25 AM

Actually i7-8xx(LGA1156) is better than i7-9xx(LGA1366) at the moment when OCed.
p.s max OC for i7-860 and i7-920 is 5GHz and 4.2GHz respectively on air.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 5:39:49 AM

andy5174 said:
Actually i7-8xx(LGA1156) is better than i7-9xx(LGA1366) at the moment when OCed.
p.s max OC for i7-860 and i7-920 is 5GHz and 4.2GHz respectively on air.

You keep claiming that the i7-860 can hit 5GHz on air when it is completely untrue. Perhaps a single, extremely lucky sample can hit that, but for the most part, they are topping out at around the 4GHz range or so.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 6:00:02 AM

cjl said:
You keep claiming that the i7-860 can hit 5GHz on air when it is completely untrue. Perhaps a single, extremely lucky sample can hit that, but for the most part, they are topping out at around the 4GHz range or so.

At least the best i7-860 chip beats the best i7-920 cheap by 800MHz on Air! This shows an evidence that i7-8xx is generally much better than i7-9xx!

Even at max stable OC, i7-9xx is no match to the i7-8xx.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 6:03:35 AM

p.s. Someone has i7-860 with a very cheap HSF, Hyper 212 Plus, and still get significat lower temp than the i7-920 with the best prolimatech or 2nd Mugen II. This tells us that the thermal wall of the i7-8xx is much further and therefore better OC potential.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 6:46:31 AM

andy5174 said:
At least the best i7-860 chip beats the best i7-920 cheap by 800MHz on Air! This shows an evidence that i7-8xx is generally much better than i7-9xx!

Even at max stable OC, i7-9xx is no match to the i7-8xx.

The best i7-920 overclocks on air are around 4.4GHz from what I can find, and I can't find any 5GHz 860 OCs. I can find a 4.6GHz one, which does show that best case, they do clock higher, but for the most part, you can expect about the same max overclock from all of the reports I've seen (which is a great overclock, don't get me wrong).
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 6:51:24 AM

Most people here said that they can't go over 4GHZ with 920 and only very few get 4.2GHz.

The guy I mentioned OC his 860 to 4.8GHz with CHEAP Hyper 212 plus and still get significant lower temp than 920 to 4GHz with the best/2nd prolimatech/mugen II.

Also, the power consumption of i7-8xx is a BIG plus. 35W(27%) less is amazing even if their OC potential were the same.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 9:20:58 AM

andy5127:

We'll have this conversation again when P55 motherboards don't burn themselves out when they go a tiny fraction over stock voltage.

And stop it with the bold text already, just give your points and discuss rationally, unless you want to start trolling because you're getting that way.

We get it OK? You like the i7 860 and it has great overclocking potential we all know, but this thread was about 920 vs 950. Why socket 1156 even got brought up I don't know, but maybe the OP IS loaded enough to get the i9 when it first comes out? He's already considering the 950 which is like £500, so what's another £300. Besides, only the FIRST i9 will be Extreme Edition, there will be lower-priced i9s coming after.

I don't know why you think it's significant to point out the lower temps on the 860 - unless you've been under a rock we ALL know that Bloomfield is first-generation Nehalem and have a stupid 130W thermal, whereas Lynnfield is second-generation and this is improved to reach "only" 95W. It's obvious then you'll get lower temps on the 860, but it's not stopped the 9xx D0 stepping from hitting the 4.2GHz mark consistently on air, and a bit more if you have a good chip.

I have no idea where you've seen a 860 hit 5GHz on air, but I doubt it can hit 5GHz at all given the power problems of the P55 chipset at the moment - 5GHz on water and 6GHz on LN2 is commonplace for the 9xx however.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 9:27:58 AM

LePhuronn said:
andy5127:

We'll have this conversation again when P55 motherboards don't burn themselves out when they go a tiny fraction over stock voltage.

And stop it with the bold text already, just give your points and discuss rationally, unless you want to start trolling because you're getting that way.

We get it OK? You like the i7 860 and it has great overclocking potential we all know, but this thread was about 920 vs 950. Why socket 1156 even got brought up I don't know, but maybe the OP IS loaded enough to get the i9 when it first comes out? He's already considering the 950 which is like £500, so what's another £300. Besides, only the FIRST i9 will be Extreme Edition, there will be lower-priced i9s coming after.

I don't know why you think it's significant to point out the lower temps on the 860 - unless you've been under a rock we ALL know that Bloomfield is first-generation Nehalem and have a stupid 130W thermal, whereas Lynnfield is second-generation and this is improved to reach "only" 95W. It's obvious then you'll get lower temps on the 860, but it's not stopped the 9xx D0 stepping from hitting the 4.2GHz mark consistently on air, and a bit more if you have a good chip.

I have no idea where you've seen a 860 hit 5GHz on air, but I doubt it can hit 5GHz at all given the power problems of the P55 chipset at the moment - 5GHz on water and 6GHz on LN2 is commonplace for the 9xx however.

1. I use bold text so people can see what my main point is. For example, most people would just think that there's no major difference in temp if I don't BOLD the coolers.

2. Furthermore, You have NO right to tell others what to do! I am NOT willing to and will not follow what you said.

3. I am sorry if there will be non-extreme i9. Are you sure about that? Even if so, it is very possible that i9 will also be available in 1156 then.

4. I found that an i7-860 reaches 5GHz on air in the link given by one of the people here who own an i7-860
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 10:28:00 AM

Don't get stroppy with me.

I simply said that your use of bold text isn't coming across as highlighting, it's coming across as shouting and therefore trolling. And seriously, wtf is with such a defensive attitude? "you have NO right" etc. Christ I only said leave it out - it's not like I'm commanding you under threat of torture.

Besides, I have as much right as anybody here to a peaceful, measured discussion and IMO you're starting to bang on stubbornly about a point that's technically irrelevant to this thread, and as a result I am exercising that right by stating give the bold lettering a rest.

But then again, stomping your feet with the whole "I'm NOT willing" bold and capitals doesn't give a good impression of your maturity so perhaps all this falls on deaf ears.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 10:32:32 AM

On a more measured note, nobody knows what's gonna happen with the i9. A couple of other tech sites (I honestly can't recall which) have reported the first i9 is an Extreme Edition model, so I would assume that there will be non-EEs to follow. It fits Intel's pattern with new tech releases.

i9 on 1156? Again I have no idea but I'm inclined to think not any time soon, if at all. There's already the big debate about how useful 4 cores is to a mainstream user, so to put 6 cores into a mainstream chipset seems a little OTT.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 10:35:37 AM

LePhuronn said:
Don't get stroppy with me.

I simply said that your use of bold text isn't coming across as highlighting, it's coming across as shouting and therefore trolling. And seriously, wtf is with such a defensive attitude? "you have NO right" etc. Christ I only said leave it out - it' snot like I'm commanding you under threat of torture.

Besides, I have as much right as anybody here to a peaceful, measured discussion and IMO you're starting to bang on stubbornly about a point that's technically irrelevant to this thread, and as a result I am exercising that right by stating give the bold lettering a rest.

But then again, stopping your feet with the whole "I'm NOT willing" bold and capitals doesn't give a good impression of your maturity so perhaps all this falls on deaf ears.

Seriously, wtf is with such an offensive attitude?

Quote:

You are not making here a peaceful place, but stirring up the flame by criticizing others' opinion, habit and grammar.

Quote:
But then again, stopping your feet with the whole "I'm NOT willing" bold and capitals doesn't give a good impression of your maturity so perhaps all this falls on deaf ears.

You can always leave without reading anything you dislike. You are the one who should leave quietly!
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 10:41:21 AM

Although I had done a lot of arguments, they are all related to the topic at least.

Not like you who can give nothing but rubbish!

In addition, I am out of the topic now because of you!
!