Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L with double-profile video card fit

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2010 4:28:04 PM

I couldn't find the forum search feature so sorry if this has been asked before.

I'd like to build a new PC with the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard, but I'm concerned that a card such as EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR might not fit hanging over the SATA chip heatsink; that heatsink seems to stick up a bit. Will it fit?

Thanks in advance,

P-Sz
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 4:40:37 PM

All PCIe cards should have seven and a quarter millimeter (roughly nine thirty-seconds inch...) clearance behind the connector, to the board surface - most have quite a bit more...
January 4, 2010 5:17:28 PM

bilbat said:
All PCIe cards should have seven and a quarter millimeter (roughly nine thirty-seconds inch...) clearance behind the connector, to the board surface - most have quite a bit more...

Any idea how I can tell the height of the SATA heatsink above the motherboard surface?
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 6:52:46 PM

Well, I'd use (one of three - a digital; an old, but exquisitely made Swiss mechanical; or a plastic crap 'slider' for measuring filthy or rusty parts...) vernier calipers, but in its stead you can do this: lay a short ruler or even a business card flat across the bridge's heatsink; then, put another ruler down vertically next to it, and measure the space from the board to the second ruler's or cardstock's face...
January 4, 2010 6:57:29 PM

I haven't bought either yet; any way to tell from the specs? Does anyone have one or the other of these? If someone has the motherboard, would the SATA chip heatsink block a dual-profile PCIe video card?
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 8:36:17 PM

Can't find an 'edgewise' picture to measure from - you might want to also post this question on TweakTown's GB section:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2010 12:00:31 PM

I have an EP45-UD3P with an eVGA GTX260 and an EP45-UD3L with an eVGA 8800GTS installed. Both have about 3/16" clearance between the bottom of the video card and the top of the heatsink.

It's a little hard to tell exactly because both boards are installed in cases. For awhile, I had an XFX 4870 installed in the UD3L. It had about the same clearance.
!