Quick Computer Build Question

N890

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I've got all my parts for the new system, I'm ready to put it together. However I do not have any grounding straps or a anti-static mat. Is it alright to go ahead and start or do I absolutely need one? The build will be on the wooden desk but the ground is carpet, if that matters. Thanks! :hello:

N890

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
So if I lay a flat piece of wood on the carpet will it be okay? Its fine if I don't have a grounding strap or anti-static mat?

CPcoder

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I did not have a ground strap until I built my own computer. I never had problems working inside computers (doing replacements, etc.) without a strap. I also had to work on a carpet (I had no choice) but it's an extremely low carpet (weave, but no pile at all).

If you have to work without a strap, remember to touch the chassis very frequently and don't shuffle your feet around. Also, pay attention to what you wear...don't wear silk, wool, fuzzy sweater, etc.

royalcrown

Distinguished

You forgot to tell the op to make sure the ps is plugged into a properly grounded outlet and installed in the case...THEN he may touch it. No pluggy inny = NO groundy.

N890

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Your saying that the PSU has to be plugged into a outlet before I install it? How will I get it in the case if the wire is plugged in? LOL?

PS. Sorry for my poor english, and misunderstanding.

If you can install the PSU first and still get the motherboard/HSF inside the case, do it that way. Else, you're going to have to maneuver the PSU in later. I've never encountered a static problem, and have never used a grounding strap. Your options are kind of limited when you're building, but as soon as you can, plug the PSU in to get everything grounded.

Don't worry...nothing will shock you.