sapsrikaanth

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi Friends,

I have a OS in a PC and I want to take a (Image/Clone/Ghost) to a external hard Disk so that I want to Boot from the external Hard Disk

Please advise with th procedure

Thank you and Kindest Regards

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Which OS are you running? ForWindows 7, it's pretty simple.

1) Connect an external drive to your system. An image backup copies everything in the OS partition ( C: drive), so you need a drive that's as large as the OS partition is.

2) Start -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Backup and Restore

3) Click "Create a System Image" to back up the OS and recovery partitions to the external disk drive.

But doing this is of no use if you don't have a system repair disc.

4) Insert a blank DVD into your DVD writer and click "Create a System Repair Disk". This will burn a bootable DVD that you can use to restore your system. You need this because if your OS drive dies then you no longer have a working copy of Windows 7 you can use to restore the backup with. You only need to burn this once - you can use the same DVD to restore whichever image backups you make in step (3) above.

For running it on any other system, connect the external HD to it. Set the bios to boot from CD/DVD & restore the OS.

4) Use the program on the "System Repair" DVD to restore the image backup.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I have not used Win7 backup and restore but I don't think the image it makes is bootable. I could be wrong. If I understand you want to move your OS to the external drive and boot from it. You need to clone your disk. Acronis is the easiest to use. I have cloned many drives with it. There are probably some free clone tools but I have not used them.

If your external drive is USB2 it will be very slow to run the OS on. SATA is much faster.

sapsrikaanth

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi

Please can you let us know the step by step process to clone using Acrnois.
I have cloned the OS in the external Hard Disk

But I do not know how to get these images in the NEW HARD DISK
Please help me
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Thank you and kindest Regards
Srikaanth

TRENDING THREADS