Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time i5-2500k OC - decent results?

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2011 4:11:31 PM

Hey there,

I've never OC'd before and was just hoping that some member of the community could confirm if my results are decent/normal?

First off..my components:

i5-2500K
Asus P8 Z68-V PRO
Corsair Vengence Low Profile DDR3 - 1600 (2x4GB)
Noctua NH-D14 (this thing is a monster)
NZXT H2 Case
Gigabyte GTX 560 ti Superclocked

So with that out of the way...I used the automatic OC abilities of the board and it set me to about 4.2 at 1.22 but wouldn't stay there (kept dipping back down to stock)

So I decided to follow some guides and try to manually OC and ended up at 4.4 and 1.38...

I ran Prime95 for about 3 hours and it hit a max of 72 degrees and idles around 45 on average. My question is..is this decent? Should I be trying to adjust my vcore from 1.38 to a little lower (my understanding is that this helps decrease temperatures?)

Again, this is a first attempt, and I'm pretty happy with 4.4 for the time being but would just like some feedback or suggestions if possible.

Thanks!

More about : time 2500k decent results

a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 4:43:27 PM

Yes, you always want to minimize voltage if all possible. Lowest stable voltage is what you should be after, and yes more voltage=more heat.
m
l
July 28, 2011 4:47:49 PM

Thanks! I figured that was kinda how it worked.

And as for temps? Is 70ish acceptable or typical as a load temp and 45ish normal for idle?

To put it in perspective, it was running about 10 degrees hotter with stock fan, so while I know this is an improvement, I just want to know if it is a typical result form this processor and this type of setup (i.e. air cooled with Noctua) etc.

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 4:52:44 PM

Your temperature seems pretty normal but you may be able to lower it with some voltage tweaking.
m
l

Best solution

July 28, 2011 10:32:12 PM

100% agree, My idle temps are around 40 c however they do hit about 67 on Prime after a few hours, I'm at 1.35 at the moment. Just have to work your way down to find the lowest stable voltage. A little decrease in Vcore has reflect alot in ya temps. :) 
August 8, 2011 12:41:25 AM

Best answer selected by RecklessDonkey.
m
l
!