0x800A0046 error ie8 xp home

Hello, Microsoft in their wisdom fails to understand that the requirement for activeX on XP Home does not allow a setting for actually fixing the error that I assume is a Group Policy Issue as the computer affected did connect to a schools server. Any Ideas as the MS Answer of Enable User Persistence does NOT fix the error
4 answers Last reply
More about 0x800a0046 error home
  1. RDValenti2 said:
    Hello, Microsoft in their wisdom fails to understand that the requirement for activeX on XP Home does not allow a setting for actually fixing the error that I assume is a Group Policy Issue as the computer affected did connect to a schools server. Any Ideas as the MS Answer of Enable User Persistence does NOT fix the error

Eliminate it entirely by switching to Firefox. Seriously ! I got so tired of IE8 issues, I took someone's advice, switched, and found Firefox so much more reliable, and quite a bit faster, loading, and loading sites, than IE8.
  2. Though, I do agree that Firefox is far superior to IE, as Word Perfect is superior to MS Word, as Thunderbird is superior to Outlook, as Quattro Pro us superior to Excel and on and on, When IBM set the stage for the standard PC there was one (1) rule book / bible which allowed anybody who followed the rules an equal opportunity. Unfortunately MS has set the stage with two (2) different rule books one internally used at MS and one with pages missing for developers. I personally use any program other than MS to accomplish tasks, yet to help others we must at times fight MS wisdom. This is the case here where updates that require IE fail even though the setting of User Persistence is ENABLED, the other rant is on Group Policy which does not apply to XP Home edition and I have failed to find a way other than to upgrade the PC . If I cannot locate a fix, the friend will just have to suffice without windows updates. A great waste of our (technical community) time as Microsoft has decided to hold hostage the users for issues that should never have been needed to become issues in the first place. Keep in mind that Bill Gates reportedly purchased the Disk Operating System (DOS) some three (3) decades ago, yet the person who created it never developed another program? We could think that perhaps the creator was buried somewhere out there by Bill Gates, literally. Thanks for your response.
  3. RDValenti2 said:
    Though, I do agree that Firefox is far superior to IE, as Word Perfect is superior to MS Word, as Thunderbird is superior to Outlook, as Quattro Pro us superior to Excel and on and on, When IBM set the stage for the standard PC there was one (1) rule book / bible which allowed anybody who followed the rules an equal opportunity. Unfortunately MS has set the stage with two (2) different rule books one internally used at MS and one with pages missing for developers. I personally use any program other than MS to accomplish tasks, yet to help others we must at times fight MS wisdom. This is the case here where updates that require IE fail even though the setting of User Persistence is ENABLED, the other rant is on Group Policy which does not apply to XP Home edition and I have failed to find a way other than to upgrade the PC . If I cannot locate a fix, the friend will just have to suffice without windows updates. A great waste of our (technical community) time as Microsoft has decided to hold hostage the users for issues that should never have been needed to become issues in the first place. Keep in mind that Bill Gates reportedly purchased the Disk Operating System (DOS) some three (3) decades ago, yet the person who created it never developed another program? We could think that perhaps the creator was buried somewhere out there by Bill Gates, literally. Thanks for your response.

Bill Gates never purchased anything to my knowledge ! :lol: His dos was taken from cp/m and Windows from MAC. And the word taken, is interchangable with pirated.
  4. Though CPM & DOS were both available on the original personal computer (digital research) the DOS which which Bill Gates acquired the rights to has Dr DOS and 4DOS (from JPSoft, which allows UNIX type features within a DOS environment) It is important to know the history of the development of the Personal Computer as I still use CPus, AWK and JPSoft & Winternals products to accomplish tasks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows XP