Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Question about choosing DDR3 memory...

Last response: in Memory
Share
January 4, 2010 8:34:47 PM

I want to get 4gb (2x2gb) of DDR3 memory for $100 or less, and this is what i'm planning on getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

does anyone suggest something different? I chose this because I've read a lot of threads that have people mentioning the ripjaw series as being good. but i'm up to suggestions.

I'd prefer if it were from newegg.com, but any other u.s. site is fine too.

If any other info is needed just let me know!
a c 163 } Memory
January 4, 2010 9:17:20 PM

That's a good memory. 4GB in dual channel i assume that you have an i5 or AMD processor right?

This is a good memory too, but is out of your budget.
m
0
l
January 4, 2010 9:22:19 PM

The key question is what mobo do you have?
You need to make sure it is compatible with mobo. Here is the list for the memory you selected:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=223

It might also work on other boards, but GSkill seems to have a fairly complete list of boards for its memory, unlike mobo manufacturers which have a limited number of memories on their compatibility list.

If it is compatible, the memory might be a very good choice since it is at or near the sweet spot for speed and has relatively low timings. But need to know the mobo make and model.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 4, 2010 10:00:36 PM

well i don't have the mobo yet... i was planning on getting

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this one however i didn't see it on that list.

so, i guess a good thing to ask now is, what is the best mobo+DDR3 ram config i can make for $200 or less? My cpu is going to be phenom ii x4 955, and i would like 4gb of ram (at any speed) and at least 2 pci e 2.0 x16 slots so i can crossfiree in the future.

anyone care to pick this out for me? I'll also be looking. thanks! :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

January 4, 2010 11:03:22 PM

This would be an excellent board - Crossfire capable - and has Gigabyte's UD or ultra durable construction:

BYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $99 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And it is on the compatibility list for the memory you selected so I would get it.
Share
January 4, 2010 11:25:06 PM

thank you very much! :) 
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 2:15:57 AM

ah sorry bro i'm not buying anything until february-ish. but it seems like a pretty good board from the reviews.
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 2:44:07 AM

Yes i do see, i just wanna know if the mem i said is supported by the mobo i said. Sum1 said that it is and posted a link, but the link doesnt show anywhere it does haha lol
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 2:49:00 AM

Ahh i went to the gigabyte site, and found this, the only g.skill ram it supports is: F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

AND THE ram you said you want is:
F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

a slight difference and i just wanna know, if anyone knows if it will make any difference, i need an AMD3 mobo that supports any ram thats 1333mhz CL7... yeah
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 11:20:42 AM

Why get memory with such slow timings? The OCZ has 9-9-9-20 compared to 7-7-7-20 for the G.Skill. The OCZ memory is listed at 1.65v while the board spec is 1.5v.

And it is not on the mobo compatibility list, the memory manufacturer provides no mobo compatibility list, and when you use their memory configurator for the chosen mobo, it returns several memory options, but not the one listed above.
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 12:16:38 PM

rockyjohn said:
Why get memory with such slow timings? The OCZ has 9-9-9-20 compared to 7-7-7-20 for the G.Skill. The OCZ memory is listed at 1.65v while the board spec is 1.5v.

And it is not on the mobo compatibility list, the memory manufacturer provides no mobo compatibility list, and when you use their memory configurator for the chosen mobo, it returns several memory options, but not the one listed above.

the one in the link just have the same spec as the ocz amd edition... and when u use the ocz memory configurator, the ocz amd edition will appear in the compatible memory list...
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 1:48:12 PM

captvizcenzo said:
the one in the link just have the same spec as the ocz amd edition... and when u use the ocz memory configurator, the ocz amd edition will appear in the compatible memory list...

But the point is, the memory you linked is NOT in the configurator.

You point out that one with same spec is in - but off course not all the details are included in the spec. Obviously it is a different chip with different number so something is different. What is different? Are you sure the difference will not be an issue?

With all the mobos listed for the chip you linked, why did OCZ not list the subject board if it is compatible? Why exclude it when listing all the rest?

But the bottom line is while cheaper, it has much worse timings that will directly affect performance by a noticeable amount and the manufacturer excluded the subject mobo from the memory configurator list.
m
0
l
January 5, 2010 1:57:35 PM

rockyjohn said:
But the point is, the memory you linked is NOT in the configurator.

You point out that one with same spec is in - but off course not all the details are included in the spec. Obviously it is a different chip with different number so something is different. What is different? Are you sure the difference will not be an issue?

With all the mobos listed for the chip you linked, why did OCZ not list the subject board if it is compatible? Why exclude it when listing all the rest?

But the bottom line is while cheaper, it has much worse timings that will directly affect performance by a noticeable amount and the manufacturer excluded the subject mobo from the memory configurator list.

sory bout the misunderstood dude...
m
0
l
a b } Memory
January 6, 2010 5:10:30 PM

rockyjohn said:
This would be an excellent board - Crossfire capable - and has Gigabyte's UD or ultra durable construction:

BYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $99 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And it is on the compatibility list for the memory you selected so I would get it.


That's the Board I've got and it is very solid and offers just about any option you'd need for setting up the Ram timings - I've got a 2x1GB Corsair Ballistix DDR3 1800 cas 8 1.9V kit in it that I've downclocked to DDR3 1600 cas 7 @ 1.7V since it gets better throughput at those settings due to the lower timings - it takes a bit of tweaking in the Bios on anything over 1333Mhz. but the options are all there and fully adjustable.

m
0
l
January 6, 2010 6:38:42 PM

does that board have good OC capabilities for the CPU, etc?
m
0
l
a b } Memory
January 6, 2010 6:56:55 PM

Yes it does - It is a 790GX chipset with the SB750 Southbridge - I have an X3 720 so it has the unlocked clock multiplier. also has the Hybrid mode for ACC that I was able to use to unlock the 4th core on the chip (was lucky and got a chip with a good 4th core and have been running it now for about a month OC'd to 3.0 Ghz. (200x15) with the 4th core (haven't pushed it further because the stock Heatsink is kind of cheap so waiting to see the actual potential after I get a new Heatsink for it.

In the BIOS it has the MB Intelligent Tweaker which gives you prettyt much everything ( Cpu Clock Ratio, CPU Northbridge Freq, CPU host Clock Control, CPU Freg(Mhz.), Pci-e Clock (Mhz), HT Link width, HT link Frequency, VGA core clock (for built in video), Vga memory clock) and also settings for all of the voltages (System, DDR3, Northbridge, SouthBridge, Sideport Memory, CPU Northbridge Vid Control, CPU voltage Control, and normal CPU Vcore ) - SO pretty much individual control over any of the settings\voltages you want to tweak !
m
0
l
!