Sign in with
Your question

Do high(er) end MoBos really make a difference when OC'ing?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2011 9:25:54 PM

When looking for a Motherboard for my future Core i7-2600K, I had originally planned on just buying a basic $120 MSI P67A-G45, but am now having second thoughts about buying something so basic. I am brand new to the art of Overclocking, and this will be my first experience. I have seen that many people have been able to OC the 2600K to 5.2Ghz, and I would like to get as close to that as possible (at least 5Ghz). I know that the most important component is obviously the heatsink, and as such I will be asking a few questions about them in the appropriate section. What I am interested in right now is how a high(er) or low(er) end Motherboard will affect sustained overclocking. How much of a difference will it make? How high must I go to get the kind of performance I am demanding?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 9:28:43 PM

For sure the MOBO is the master of the OC...So yes, it does matter...buy the best MOBO you can get if you want a nice smooth and stable OC experience..All of the components of the PC factor into the OC...PSU buy the best you can afford at least 80+ cert....The MOBO is the same I would opt for a Z68 board, some 1600 MHz RAM, a nice 500+ watt 80+ cert PSU, vid card of your choice, oh and get you an aftermarket HSF if your going for 5 GHz...To answer your question OC stability relies on all of the PC parts to play nicely together...MOBO's are no exception as a "basic" MOBO will not give you enough features in BIOS to maintain your OC..especially when your going for 5 GHz and above
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 12:22:19 PM

Also, a decent motherboard will have decent temperature and fanspeed monitors - crucial if you are going to heavily OC your CPU. No fun in buying an expensive CPU, cheap mobo and watching the CPU sizzle into uselessness because the mobo couldn't keep it safe.

Like they tell you in health class - stay safe.

EDIT: Oh, and stay away from Intel motherboards. They're crap to say the least. They were lazy, have stoopid BIOS and doesn't OC too well.
Related resources
July 30, 2011 9:07:56 PM

If that is the case, then I believe that by cutting back my RAM to 8GB, and getting a superclocked GIgabyte 570 SLI rather than the 580 SLI I had planned on, I can afford the Asus Maximus IV Extreme. Is that overkill?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 1:08:34 AM

Not at all the Formlua IV or V are the best MOBO's IMHO
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2011 7:04:16 AM

you could buy a $400 motherboard instead of a $150 one, and get a whole 0.3ghz more out of your cpu. YAY. IMO better to just spend more on the CPU.
August 2, 2011 3:07:11 PM

Depend on the socket. I would go with LGA 1366 R2E III black edition, but the price...it is another story
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 5, 2011 10:23:04 AM

The more Power Phases on the motherboard - the better it will over-clock.

I think some of the ASUS boards offer 16 and some of the higher priced gigabyte boards go up to 24 or something similar.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 5, 2011 5:46:57 PM

@adrian perry--->Not nessecarly, some board manufacturer..put more power phases in to compensate for the lack of the actual MOBO quality
!